Need advice...

I want to write a book, I have an idea and the introduction is already done. Anyway a friend of mine refered me to this website and a proffessor who has already written another book is writing a book with my book theme. I feel that I am unqualified to go up against him and that he would probably be way better at it then me. What would you do? I have a hard time and tend to discount my abilities a lot of the time.

2kidsandtired

Asked by 2kidsandtired at 6:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• oh hun, I am sure that he is not using the exact same characters and the exact same plot. Every writer is unique and just because he has one book under his belt does not mean that his will get looked at anymore than yours will. What I am trying to say is go for it!!!! I wanted to write a book as well but was only going to self publish through xlibress untill I saw how much, wow! So now I am revising for mass mailing the manuscript.
    Good luck!! And don't ever sell yourself short.
    wolfmomma30

Answer by wolfmomma30 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Wolfmomm30 I think said it all! Go for it!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, first off if every subject only had one book written about it there would be very few books written. The truth is you can't complete against a professor when it comes to knowledge but a professor is going to write more for other intellectuals. You'll be writing for the average person.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There are many books written about the same thing; it's just a matter of how you write YOUR book to make it stand out from everyone else's. Don't worry about what you can't do or aren't "qualified" for. It's rubbish. Focus more on what you know you're capable of. I'm sure the book I'm working on has already been done over and over again, but that's not stopping me from writing it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• never cut yourself short girl. do it and dont worry about the next man and keep your head up dont compare yourself to anyone ther is one one of you and you was made exalted and bless
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• What is your purpose for writing them book?? If all you want to do is make money, then yours may not be as successful as his. If you are looking for personal satisfaction, practice writing, publication, etc - why stop because someone else is doing the same as you? I say continue on, and enjoy it!

You may even find a way to make yours unique as you get deeper into writing it :)
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 7:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2010