How do I deal with both my boys being deployed to Afghanastan?

JerriEllen

Asked by JerriEllen at 6:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• The only thing you can really do is pray and be proud. I cound never imagine that so I give you so much credit and really feel for you and your family. Your boys are doing us all such a great justice and I appreciate it so much. Do what you can to be involved. Send care packages, keep in touch when you are able and seek a mothers of soldiers group. Dont do this alone. Best wishes :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thank you for your advice. I will look into the mothers of soldiers group.
    JerriEllen

Comment by JerriEllen (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• YW I really think that will help you through this. Give your boys a kiss for all of us :) And a thank you
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• (((HUGS))) I'm a military mom too. Son is in USAF. He is being deployed to Iraq soon. I know the feeling. I guess all we can do is just put our sons in God's hands and pray for their safety and safe return home. I understand. God bless your boys for serving. God bless you.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Jerri Ellen, are you on FB? I am also an Army mom, I have 1 son who was deployed to Iraq and another son in AIT. There is a large community of military moms of Facebook and many of my friends have deployed soldiers, some even have 2 or 3 children who are deployed. If you are on FB or if you'd like to join to find other moms look me up. My name on Facebook is Tracy CooperRoss Proudarmymom. I will connect you with other Army Moms. It REALLY helps to have support. I had none when my oldest was deployed and now I try very hard to be there for all of my friends who are where I was 3 years ago. ((((HUGS))))
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• When my brother was there, I was only 15 and I cried everyday. I sent as many care packages as possible, usually once a week, and I sent things for his friends over there as well. Food is great, they are fed there of course, but the food is nasty and the stores there don't usually carry snack foods like there are used to. So send some of their favorite snack foods. It can take up to 3 weeks to get to them (at least that's how it was when my brother was there) so you might want to wait to see how long it takes for them before you start sending homemade cookies. Magazines and books are great too, if they like to read them. Send pictures, even if it's just of you and the family doing nothing, it's big to them. If they have children, send as many pics, videos, pictures they draw as possible
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Write tons of letters and send packages when you can. Send pictures say of the holidays, families, friends, etc. Get people involved and you won't feel so alone without them anymore. It'll connect you to them even from being so far away. Also, look into getting skype. It's a well known program that you can actually talk to them online for free! Get a web cam too so you can actually see them that way on their time off, they can talk to you. :)
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2010