do you personally know a racist person?

do you ever try to change there minds?
do you know why they are racist?
does it affect the way you are towards them?

and lets remember not all racist people are white, black, nothing is ever just black/white.. white/black!!

justgg

Asked by justgg at 11:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Relationships

• I think more so then ever I've seen a lot of racist sides come out in people I never knew were racist. I know several people and I'm not proud to say they are racist. I do however accept that it's their choice and not my right to try and change their mind. All I ask is that they are respectful of other people and don't make inappropriate comments with me or my son around. People are racist and they have their reasons, I don't have to agree with them but I do have to respect their choices.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yes
    I try but they are set in their ways
    yes, and some of them it makes sense in a way, kinda like fire victims not liking fire KWIM?
    no

Anonymous

• Yes, my husband's Grandfather. My husband's family is from Alabama. A lot of the older generation in his family were involved with the KKK. There's no point in trying to change their minds. I do to a point understand why they are the way they are. And no, it doesn't change the way I think or feel abou them.
    Anonymous

• do you personally know a racist person? yes, many of my family members are horribly racist

do you ever try to change there minds? not really. if they say something totally out of line i'll try to correct them, but i'd never try to "change their minds" because i know that's just not possible

do you know why they are racist? they were raised to be that way and don't know any better

does it affect the way you are towards them? not really, only if they bring something up to me that pisses me off.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yes, I was just recently floored by this sweet little old lady I know! We were talking and out of the blue she said something incredibly racist! I was shocked, and I'm sure I showed it, but I was not going to argue with someone of that age. I was appalled by what she said, but I thought, what is the point of arguing with her? I would have felt I was being disrespectful to my elder, so after I composed myself, I quickly changed the subject!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• do you personally know a racist person? Yep... most of my family and a lot of people in my area.
    do you ever try to change there minds? Yeah, right. They are way too set in their ways!
    do you know why they are racist? Because when they were young, things were different. It was just the way it was.
    does it affect the way you are towards them? No. I love them no matter what..... doesn't mean I agree with them, though.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My Nephew tonight said something that he had no idea what he was saying. He had heard some boys at school saying it and of all nights repeated it infront of his younger cousins. He said, "If Obama is elected does that mean the KKK is coming back?" My SIL smacked him so hard. He honestly didn't realize how bad it was to say something like that...it really makes you wonder what other parents are saying when their children around!!
    Anonymous

• i know someone who is...but not to the point where they are mean to them or open about it. they wrok with them and get along when they have too. is that the same? and no i dont try to change them cause i know they wont. i just make sure they are careful what they say around me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• work****
    Anonymous

• Yes, unfortunately. I'm an Obama supporter (not trying to bring politics into this..I do have a point, lol). I display my support not only in my yard, but on my myspace. Ever since I changed my page, and avatar, I have recieved horrible texts from a few "friends" of mine. Bad racist jokes they think are funny, and that they think is funny to send to me. It's not. And I told them kindly (or not so kindly) that I no longer wished to recieve texts of any kind from the, again.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 12:40 AM on Nov. 1, 2008