What day is the Sabbath and do you observe it?

What exactly is resting?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In Jewish tradition it's Saturday (or Friday at sundown to saturday sundown). For Christians it's Sunday. I really don't think the day is as important as what we are supposed to be doing with the day. If you have to work those days, you could use one of your days off to do this. We are supposed to be resting and spending time with God on that day. That can mean family dinners and such as well, fellowship, whatever. It's a day of observation.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The Sabbeth is Saturday. In the OT it was intended to be a day for to rest from the week's work and to worship God. Christians, however, worship and rest on Sunday because that is the day Jesus rose from the tomb.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Saturday, and yes we do observe it. Resting for us is ceasing from active labor for the 24-hour period between sunset on Friday and sunset Saturday. It is a day that God the Creator has set up as a memorial of the Creation Week. It is a time of communion with Him and other believers.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The Sabbath is Saturday ... the Lord's Day is Sunday.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sunday. I def need to go more often and no I do not rest lol who does?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sunday I think and no we don't. Too busy to rest.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• From what I have read it seems that the Sabbath has always been Saturday, not Sunday. By the lunar reckoning of the Bible, it starts on Friday evening and it ends on Saturday evening.

35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• we unfortunately dont observe any day to rest. We rip and run all week long. I wonder if that is why we are tired all of the time?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Technically, Saturday would be the 7th day, thus, the Sabbath... However, my faith does not observe the Sabbath, so I have no reason to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The Sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown for me. There are actually a number of different categories of work, all related to building the tabernacle and the temple in Jerusalem. We don't strictly keep the Sabbath, but try our best to at least make it a day where we all hang out together, very tough this time of year, but we manage. We also have a family dinner Friday night, light the candles, say the blessings over the challah and wine. It's relaxing after a long week of working, school and just running from place to place.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2010