When people call asking for donations, how many different ways can you say I don't have it?

Someone called collecting from the fraternal order of police or something, asking me to donate $45-$25 and I said very nicely that I did not have it. Then he went on to explain his cause and how it helps out children and if I could just donate $12 that would help. I said again, that I just don't have it. Then AGAIN he started explaining how it would help children..and I said who is going to help my children when I give you guys their dinner money. Then I hung up. I was TRYING so hard to be polite, but people don't want you to be.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "Sure, call back tomorrow night. I plan to rob our local bank, and if I'm not caught, I should be home by 6."
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 7:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• "Sorry, I'm not interested."  Hang up.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 7:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• A no thank you and a push of the button usually work for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I've tried all of the above and I've also done the following (which actually worked)...
    Really? You're raising money for the underprivileged??? OMG!!! Can you help me? I'm a single mom with 5 kids and I just lost my job and we are about to be evicted! Can you help me get on your list of people who need help? PLEASE?? PRETTY PLEASE???? And I get really sickening super whiny and they usually give up and hang up on me.. LMFAO!!! Good luck!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I just say not interested and hang up..I don't have it either..love the kids dinner part!
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 7:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I just say, "I'm sorry, I have a selected charity to which all my donations are made," and hang up.

They don't have to know if that charity is theirs, someone else's or the "Kids Gotta Eat and Have Sneakers" fund.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The only thing you have to say is "Put me on your do not call list" Don't let them make you feel guilty.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I've been SO polite and told them I just don't have it. They go on and on and sure it is for an awesome cause and I've given before ( even worked FOR them for a day and it's tough at the FOP! )

I couldn't handle the rejections and you get let go anyways if so many will not donate believe it or not!!!! Not worth it really.

I've said that I was in bankruptsy court and I just got out to finish clearing my home, before prison time.... and this one guy went on and on and on and I said,"Look..... the reason I'm going to court is cause I stole THOUSANDS and have given you people fake checks in the past too Im sure..it all caught up with me!! If I can find an old checkbook, I will write you a check cause I will be in jail and it wont matter, damage is already done, whats another count added to my sentence!! Right?? How much ya want?"

They've not called again!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 7:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• with phone work- they HAVE to rebuttle at least 3 times if not more. They get monitered and ever place I ever worked that was the policy- regardless if it was selling newspapers, or calling for donations, or whatever else.
    What I do is let them know that I know it's their job, but I can't help now-then I tell them good luck and hang up *and not be a bitch about it. Phone works sucks enough without people freaking out on you ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Dont you think we people pay enough taxes? i know its mean...but its not like all ppl have money laying around to donate...
    Erzy

Answer by Erzy at 10:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010