would you allow your teen to demand you to get off the

phone or computer?
my 17 year old is always telling me to get off the computer so she can use the phone we have dial up...

then she tells me all i do all day is sit in front of the computer... bull crap gee how does the dishes get done..she doesn't help?
the laundry magically gets washed,, hum she didn't do it?
hummm dinner is on the stove and she didn't lift a finger to help out and rarelly ever helps out unless i demand her to do something then she halve ass does it!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• You need to fix her good. Seriously.

First of all, you don't need to feel bad because all the stuff is getting done. You are doing your job as a parent; if you want to be on the computer that's fine.

You need to tell your daughter that she's 17 years old and she needs to do the following, with NO complaints. She needs to have a chore list that she follows EVERY day. She also needs to get a job to pay for her own crap! She's of age to work, let her get a job. Even if it's only 10 hours on the weekends, it won't interfere with her school and she'll have money to spend.

That girl needs to learn to respect you. Put your foot down!!
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 12:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• nope.

your house, your rules, you pay for all the stuff. she can just deal with it
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• No way, you pay the bills, she doesn't
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My teen wouldn't even have the guts to tell me. He'd ask politely when I thought I'd be off the phone, but never demand. He knows the wrath that will ensue.

He also knows that he doesn't want me to get creative...that means if he ever told me all I did was sit at the computer all day, the internet might magically disappear...or his dirty dishes would end up piled on his clean clothes... Or his IPod would suddenly disappear and all I'd know about it is, "I put it away."
    jdubois

Answer by jdubois at 11:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Tell her to get a job and pay for a cell phone or DSL. As long as you're paying the bills, you can sit on that computer 8 days a week if you want to.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Um...I am scared to death to think of the reaction my mom would have had if I grew the balls to say something like that to her!!! My mom did not beat us or anything, actually I only remember being spanked 1 time my whole life, but we did NOT dare talk to her like that. I guess we just had more respect for our parents when we were growing up. Hey, you could always tell your kid to go get a job and start paying for the phone and internet, then see how long her demands last. Even better, she gets a job and pays for it, or at least half of it, or she doesn't use it. She's 17? Yea, I had my first job at 15, and paid for everything but the roof over my head. It did me worlds of good too! Of course, my mom was there if I needed her, but only if I really needed something and could show her I have been trying.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 1:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• This child - keyword CHILD needs to learn respect!! There is NO WAY IN HELL mine woulc talk to me like that!! I don't allow my children to talk to me while I am on the phone unless someone is bleeding.....profusly! ALSO, WHY is this perfectly capable child not doing chores: dishes, laundry, etc?!?! Mine are 6, 8 and 12 - they ALL pich in!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:41 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Give her a book of stamps,a pen, and paper and tell her to have at it.... I would ignore her until she asked to be able to use the phone. She needs to take a reality check and notice there are more than 1 that may want to use the phone,etc...
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 8:12 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Of course she shouldn't make demands and you shouldn't give in. On the other hand, it sounds like you need to reevaluate her needs for the phone and computer. We realized dial up wasn't going to work for us when our oldest wanted to be on the phone or computer and we needed it. It's reversed here but it's clear she is like any other teenager. She needs to ask for what she wants though, in a respectful way and you need to listen. Give her the opportunity to tell her exactly what she wants. If you can't upgrade your systems, share time on the computer with designated slots for her so she knows you respect her needs and will arrange the time to meet them. If you give her the opportunity to talk about it and solve the problem, she will learn the best way to handle situations in the future. Remind her of that when it's taken care of this time around.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm guessing that you are just venting here! 17yrs old and doesn't do anything??? PLEASE!! My daughter is 15 and wouldn't even try to whisper a word about me being on the computer, (we also have dial-up). I'm sorry but my son is 19 and a foot taller than me and wouldn't even talk to me like that.. I would knock him OUT!!! It is about RESPECT!!!! It should have been taught to your children a LONG time ago..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2008