what's the best type of cutting board to use?

what is the best type of cutting board to use - sanitary wise, for your knives etc. i currently have glass but have heard it's not great for your knives. and i always thought wood wasn't sanitary.

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 7:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Plastic for meats and fruits.
    Wood for Bread.
    Glass for cheese.
    I use separate boards for each item.
    I sanitize the plastic ones after each use.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I saw a documentary on bacteria and cutting boards. The cutting board which didn't retain bacteria and salmonella from use was a glass cutting board. Plastic and wood cutting boards were too porous, though wood wasn't as bad as plastic.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 7:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The new silicone cutting boards are really nice. They can be put in the dishwasher and wont dull your knives. I have color coded silicone mats and knives so that I don't cross contaminate.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 7:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Most professional kitchens use the white plastic cutting boards that you can find at Wal-Mart or Bed ,Bath & Beyond....If there is a restaurant supply outlet/store in your area..most are open to the public and you can purchase industrial quality and sizes there.Many restaurants have a 5 gal. bucket of bleach & water mixture by each station in their kitchen prep areas to sanitize the cleaning clothes , boards , counters & knives around the food prep station.
    You can visit the CDC website for proper mixture proportions...I believe it's a 1:5 ratio ( 1 part bleach to 5 parts water )
    Good luck & happy cooking/creating...
    Ruffrider
    Ruffrider

Answer by Ruffrider at 7:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I use bamboo and clean it well after every use. I have separate boards for raw meat and veggies/cheese/bread. I've never had a problem with cross contamination or food poisoning.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm a retired chef. When I taught apprentices, we tried them all. Wood is best for sanitation, and for keeping your knives sharp.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I use a resin one and a wood one.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wood is best for sanitation and knives. Just keep two boards, one for meats and one for vegetables.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We use all three But I think glass is more sanitary. You can always sharpen the knives
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Sisteract's got her act together. Good choices!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010