How do you feed your family?

Do you just do whatever is easiest in cooking?
Do you take the time to use fresh ingredients every day?

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 7:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It varies. I have to work full time, and every Thursday means I work late.

Most nights, I cook from scratch. If I remember to set it up before work, I slow cook a lot of stuff. But if I know I'm going to be late, or I have to be somewhere after work (like BTS night or a fundraiser) or I'm so sick I can barely stand upright, then I will throw something easy together.

But then, fresh, nutritious and easy don't have to be mutually exclusive terms either.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I try to use fresh ingredients all the time. I don't like veggies out of the freezer. I live close to a market so it is easy to pick up fresh meat every couple of days. I do a lot of crock pot cooking also.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 7:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• well, let me start by saying that using fresh ingredients doesn't really mean it takes more time than if you didn't. but anyway, i guess i do both. i don't see the point in making fresh pasta, i use dry pasta. i don't see the point in making my own bread....the bread from the bakery tastes just as good. i would consider it to be a waste of time to use fresh pumpkin instead of canned when i'm making pie (i have done it with fresh and it tasted exactly the same). i pick my battles lol. but i will say that usually i try the homemade version a couple of times before i decide on what to substitute. some things are better homemade, and other things come out the same using shortcuts lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I know that using fresh ingredients doesnt mean its taking more time. I just know that hamburger helper is so popular LOL. Anyways, i believe that homemade is always better, but that shortcuts can be used just as well!
    mommyofAurora

Comment by mommyofAurora (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• both... I make easy meals that are fresh.

Tonight is turkey meat loaf (sooooeasy), broiled potatoes and sweet potatoes, and a spinach salad.  I dont think there could be anything eaiser.  Next to no prep work and done in about 35 min.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I do my best to use what is fresh and in season.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• lately school has been crazy so ive slacked off a bit and being pregnant doesnt help. but usually we have a semi-homemade meal...like a casserole that uses box stuffing. also, we always have a yummy veggie but i prefer frozen b/c fresh always goes bad before i get around to using it...lima beans and peas are our most usual.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• For me it varies according to my health. If I'm having a 'bad legs day' I either send SO to fish and chip shop, or I stick something in the oven that is quick and doesn't take long to prepare. On a good day however I am happy to cook whatever we fancy, even if that means a full roast dinner with all the trimmings lol
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• At this point, it's more convenience and cheaper than having a full drawn out meal.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010