Is my son eating enough??

I have an 18 month old son. He will eat something like 1 piece of french toast for breakfast with some captain crunch (no milk) around 9am. I feed him lunch after nap about 2pm usually a sandwich, but he doesnt eat even a quarter!! and dinner is at 6pm usually 3 chicken nuggets. Is he eating enough??

jessica.holder

Asked by jessica.holder at 7:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You feed him the same thing every day? He can eat whatever your eating as long as there are no allergies. My daughter is around the same age, and doesnt eat much either, but if i have a bigger choice, rather than having the same thing every day, his tasts buds might want some!!!! He'll eat if hes hungry. Dont worry about it.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 8:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• yes, that sounds like what my 2 yo eats lol. he is average height and weight. the dr. always says they will eat more when they need to (like if they're growing) and they will not starve themselves to death. so i don't worry about it anymore lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That doesn't sound like much. My son just turned 2, but for the last year or so he's been eating 3 meals (although they're small, today lunch was 1/2 pb&j and 1/2 banana) and 2 snacks every day. But I would think if he was hungry he would eat. Is he filling up on milk/juice?

Answer by missanc at 8:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• he is not eating the same every day i just used those foods as an example of what he had today. i try to feed him what i eat but he is really pick with textures so wont always eat it. he does drink a cup or milk with breakfast and dinner and usually 2 cups of juice throughout the day. my son is big for his age. he takes after his dad and is tall and thick. he is currently wearing 2t clothing so i know he isnt starving it just worries me.

jessica.holder

Comment by jessica.holder (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My pediatrician always said that you never have to worry about feeding a toddler they will always let you know when they are hungry.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I totally agree with emeraid53197, when my daughter was about that age, I was worry about the same thing because she wasn't really eating. Well, her teacher told me not to worry, she is going to eat when she is hungry. Some days she probably won't eat much and other days she might eat everything in the refrigerator. I tried to keep like yogurt and fruit at her reach in the fridge so she can see and eat healthy choices when she was hungry. Don't worry, he will be fine.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Like the other ladies said, if hes hungry hell eat. They know what thier intake needs to be for the dan and will satisfy it. Some days my son eats like a bird, the next like a horse. I just trust that he knows what he needs. Just like we do as adults.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• They will eat when they are hungry. My son is the same way but he is average weight....
    Punk.Princess24

Answer by Punk.Princess24 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• CUT UP HIS FOOD FOR HIM, EAT WITH HIM, TALK TO HIM ABOUT WHATS HE'S EATING, TRY DIFFERENT FOODS AND DIFFERENT COOKING FORM, {LIKE FRIED, BAKE, BROILED, ETC.} & MAKING COLORFUL FOOD WORK ALSO.
    paradyxe28

Answer by paradyxe28 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011