2 year old wont take naps anymore!

we have a routine... he wakes up same time around 8:30am every morning, goes down for a nap around 2pm, wakes up no later than 5:00pm and then goes to bed around 9pm. We have had this routine for a long time and lately he wont go down for naps..its now 5:15pm and he has been in his room since 2pm banging on the door and walls..there is nothing to play with in his room except a pillow and blanket he can get out of bed because he has a toddler bed..i dont know what is wrong, we have a routine and stick with it but lately he is making me mad and wont listen. I went in a few times and put him back in his bed and explained to him that it is naptime. What can i do?? I count on naptime to relax and have 2 hours to myself.. :(

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son stopped napping around the same age.. I just let him stay up after a few days of him screaming and not sleeping.. Now he just sleeps a little later in the morning, which I am fine with :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 8:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my daughter stopped right at 2 and my son stopped at about 2 1/2

we went into having quiet time instead...(made them lay on the couch with a blanket and watch a movie)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Children donā€™t remain the same as the age. He many not require a naps anymore.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• a 3hr nap! wow! Sometimes my 2yr old skips her nap but mostly takes them. If she doesnt take her nap I just ignore her (unless she is hurt or something, which never happens) and let her get up when its her normal nap ending time.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yeah my son is usually a good sleeper but the last 2 weeks he has only taken 2 naps and 1 one was in the car. He does sleep good at night though too, I guess no more naps for him. :(
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yep, my DS just started doing this over the last couple months. He was good about taking naps most of the time before, and now he won't sleep. I have been trying to enforce at least an hour of quiet time in his room--sometimes he goes for it and other times he just calls for me the whole time and I end up sitting in there with him reading books or singing. We've been having to put him to bed about an hour earlier too, since he gets so exhausted by dinnertime. I always thought he would nap until at least age 3 or even age 4, so I did not expect this change. The only naps my son has taken in the last two months was during two car rides and once when he didn't sleep well the night before and we had a business morning--other than that no naps. I feel your pain. :-(
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• um...should be *busy* morning. lol
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Oh gosh! We gotta have a nap 'round these parts, lol! Othewise I'd die from exhaustion! Well, we had to start adjusting my now 2 y/o schedule when he was around 18 mths old. The key is to get them up earlier, and have naps no later than 3:30, to still be able to adhere to bed time schedule. So...instead of letting him sleep in late, I'd wake him up at 7:15-7:30, after breakfast and "lessons," if nice outside, we swing to a park and let him burn that energy, or errands, then home for lunch, then a soothing wipe down and jammies for nap (he learns to associated these clothes for sleep), then a story and put him in his crib, (just not ready to transition to toddler bed!), and he's out within 15 mins. We do his naps now between 12:30-1:00 and I don't let him sleep past 3:30, and he's ready for bed by 9:30. Toddler gets his much needed nap, I get my much needed time from toddler, equates to happy folk when dad gets home!!!
    Jam0418

Answer by Jam0418 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Some toddlers go through the no nap phase. you have to let it just happen. Be glad your child takes a nap. My Daughter stopped taking naps at 13 months old. The only way she would take a nap is if she was sick. Be glad you have that time and just wait or go for a car ride and just drive around. The vibrations from car rides usually put them down from just plain boredom or add some lullabye music to his room. Sometimes that would work if I was really desperate.
    erotikrose

Answer by erotikrose at 9:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You made him sit in his room for THREE HOURS!!!! What the hell? If he doesn't sleep after an HOUR, you should end the nap for the day and simply put him to bed a little earlier than usual. I wouldn't make him sit in his room for three whole hours!!!
    Anonymous