how can i get my newborn to sleep alone?

she refuses to fall asleep if she isnt in my arms and when i place her in her basinet she screams

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 8:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well i would try to wing her off of the habit of sleeping with you when she falls asleep try to lay her down and make sure shes comfy good luck
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 8:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• yeah, that's normal. you could just co-sleep for awhile, and during the day sometimes they like to sleep in the swing. it helped for my kids too if i slept on the sheet for a night before i put it on their crib mattress....it made it smell like me and it made them transition easier when they were a little older (like when they were a couple of months old). but for a newborn there's not really much you can do but hold them and try the swing and see if they like that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Following the following steps.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I just co slept. I found we all slept better snuggling together.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• mine did this too, dont blame her too much she just loves bodily contact as its all she has known! picture sleeping in a warm environment and NOW being laid on a flat hard surface! so make sure she is all the way asleep somewhere -- USE a BOUNCY chair and give her her bottle in it! OR breastfeed her asleep, then eeeasily transfer her to bassinet. my girl whos eight months now did the same thing but by four months or five months was doign better. i just feel sorry for a newborn and you cant spoil a newborn OR an infant you just need to follow their lead and be ever so patient endlessly CREATIVE in your solutions, whatever works thats safe and gentle, LOVING and smart. infants cant self-sooth until they have hand coordination to put hand to outh or use a blankie so dont expect them to be abel to self soothe she needs you so much at this stage. it will all go away and then youll remember those days when she was helpless and tiny
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i always fed her to sleep and then she'd be satisfied and sleep for a while. thru the night doesnt happen til 4-6 months. also use the bouncy seat... it is safe and more liek a pod! my eight month old has been starting the night in her bouncy seat since birth! and has good sleep patterns. especially whiel teething, the bouncy seat holds her head up a little so her jaws dont feel swollen. it cradles them much better than a bassinet! i was glad when i got rid of that thing. now she goes between bouncy seat and pack n play. crib is nect when she is one
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Just sleep with her.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Do you swaddle? if not try that. If that fails, you should check out a snuggle nest, it really works wonders and makes it totally safe to co sleep. My son slept in a bassinet until 3 mos, then the snuggle nest until 5 months, then in our bed until 6mos, and since 6 mos he has slept in his own bed in his room. The trick is (and I know it sounds mean) but if you want them to comfort themselves to sleep or sleep alone make sure they are not too hot or cold, change the diaper, swaddle, and feed, if all else fails let them cry it out, it wont last forever, and they will get used to it. and if you hold the baby 24/7 is it going to expectit 24/7, so make sure you have tummy time, and naps, and bouncy seat time.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 3:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2010