Postpartum question

I am 3 weeks postpartum and I had a second degree tear after my son was born. I finally got up the nerve today to check and see where the stitches were and try to see if everything looked like it was healing down there and I looked in the mirror and I can see inside my vagina like the hole did not shrink. I also cannot see where the stitches are or were. Would they have already dissolved by now? Has anyone had a similar experience and is it normal?

brandles06

Asked by brandles06 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Health

• With my first 2 boys I had 2nd & 3rd degree tears. It takes time for a body to heal. I spent weeks using a pillow to sit, regularly doing sitz baths for comfort. The stitches will dissolve...be patient. Did you ask your Doctor at your son's 2 week visit?
    You are at 3 weeks, be patient as long as there is no abnormally foul odor or unusual discharge and you are not running a fever all should be healing. Just remember to keep your post delivery six-week check-up. If you have questions or concerns write them down so you don't forget or just call and speak to the nurse.
    jtcr4boyz

Answer by jtcr4boyz at 12:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010