Do you force your child into the "normal" sterotypes that the "world" accepts?

This is a S/O of another post from earlier.

Stereotype: Boy: trucks, dirt, and building blocks, etc....
Stereotype: Girls: frilly dresses, barbies/dolls, and cooking etc...

If yes why
If no why not

PLEASE BUMP FOR MORE VARIETY OF ANSWERS...

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 8:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope we don't force our girls into typical girl things. I even have 2 with really short hair because that is what they prefer and they don't get upset when people call them boys they just politely correct them and go on. They have dolls and dresses as well as cars. We have never said they couldn't have something just because it was intended for the other gender. We encourage them to figure out who they are and what they like rather then what everyone tells them what they should like.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• When my son was younger I tried to get him into sports, not so much because it was a "boy" thing but because it's just a hobby that my family enjoys. He's just not into it and I'm ok with it. Oh and his favorite color is pink =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No i let me kids choose what they want, they decide what kind of movies they like (tinkerbell), or toys and even clothes. They just happen to pick "boys" toys.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No I feel it is wrong for me to make my kids in to who they are not and they will never know who they are unless i step back and see who they are, if that makes scents.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't think I force my boys to act like boys. We have quite a few toys, that range from stuffed animals to trucks, books and blocks. I guess I wouldn't go to the store and buy them a Barbie doll or anything. My 10 and 2 year olds just "act" like boys. They love to play outside with footballs and skateboards... but then again, if a girl were to play outside with balls and scooters, would she be acting like a boy? I don't think so. I say just let kids be kids. If your son wants a teddy bear, then by golly get him a teddy bear.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I certainly try not to. I do buy my daughter really cute girly clothes for the most part, but that's because I know the day will come when she picks what she wears so I want to do the cute stuff while I can. But she has dolls and kitchen toys, and she has a dump truck and a lawn mower, too. I try to give her a variety of things and to cultivate anything that she shows an interest in. Sometimes she insists to me that she is a boy, even though she seems to know the difference in all our friends and family as far as who is a girl or a boy. I don't argue it with her, I just figure it's a phase and not worth fighting over. I never want her to think something is wrong with her based on the things she likes or dislikes, I just want her to be confidant in being herself.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• no, i don't force them into it, but that is what they happen to choose. sometimes my son does pick out something that is clearly for a girl (like a dress-up dress or glitter nail polish), but i won't buy that for him. i will buy him things like dolls if he wants because obviously men can take care of babies too. i am going to buy all of them a play kitchen (they have many neutral ones....they're not a girl toy anymore). but they're expensive lol so i will have to save a while (maybe next christmas!). my daughter loves to pick out the sparkles, frills, etc. so that's ok with me since she's the only girl. she prefers hotwheels and trains over dolls though and that's ok with me.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Nope
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My DS has cars, trucks, blocks, balls, and other typical 'boy' toys, but he also has a play kitchen with food, pots & pans, etc. His Nana just bought him a baby doll and a toy bottle, because he kept pretending his stuffed animals were babies (specifically his 8 month girl cousins), so he would hold one 'baby' and rock it and say it was cute or pretend to feed it, and then he would tell me to hold the 'other baby'. She was a little frustrated that all the dolls she found were pink, but when she finally found a blue one for him he still named it after one of the girls. LOL We thought it would be good for him to learn nurturing play too, that's the main reason. I sense that my husband might be less comfortable with it than I am, but I think it can benefit kids to play with different toys even if they seem to gravitate toward certain types of toys on their own. Whatever he's interested in is fine with me for the most part.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Nope.He can choose for himself.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010