To Induce or Not to Induce?

So I just have a few questions for the moms who have been threw an induction..and maybe just some peoples thoughts on it.

I planned on not having a high usage amount of medication during my labor and delivery and I believe that when God wants a baby to come it will..but lately my thoughts have drifted.

I live 2 hours away from the hospital I will be delivering at because the hospital where i live is NOT equiped to deliver a child..We have been debating weather just setting an induction date will ensure a safe and healthy delivery..

Then my mom is gay and married and the both work in a factory here and they have told my mothers partner that if I go into labor she is not allowed to leave work to be there because they do not support or recognize their parternship. This is devastating. My mom and her wife have been my unwavering support threw both the pregnancy of my son 2.5 years ago and this one. I couldnt imagine her

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 8:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• not being there when I go into labor. It would be eaiser I suppose to have a set date, so there are no last minute calls for someone to take my toddler or worrying if I go into labor and my mom is an hour away at work and I do not drive and have to take an ambulance in and what to do with my son.

But I still have this thing about naming my babys birthdate..idk and then not knowing exactly what to expect during an induction..I've heard so many different stories..

any advice..insight..would be greatly apperciated!
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had a successful induction. But it seems to me that most people who are induced end up with a c-section a few days later. That's what happened to my sister. The induction didn't work. It was long and painful. 2 days later, still in the hospital she had a c section.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have been induced and would not recommend going that route if you do not want drugs during your labor. They will more than likely use pitocin to induce and it made my contractions very strong, I was planning for an epidural anyway but I am not sure if I would have made it very far without one. For my second child I didnt have pitocin and my contractions never got that strong I was waiting for the pain that I had the first time and it never came, there was pain of course but it wasnt anywhere near as bad as with the induction. Is there any way you can stay with your mom when your due date gets closer?
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Fox: I do live with my mom currently and she is planning on taking work off to be with me incase I go into labor but Anna (her partner) Is the driver of the family..and cannot leave work to be with us incase something happens. I believe I had pitocin with my son while i was already in active labor and I didnt have that bad of contractions.
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i would not get induced unless it was a medical emergency. have you considered home birth? imo, if there is even a question of inducing or not, the answer is no. if an induction is necessary to save a life, there wouldn't even be the question.
    Anonymous

• well, just because you set a date for induction doesn't mean you're setting the birthday lol. you don't know how long you will be in labor or when you will deliver. i would not advise being induced because most of them fail (and that's not an opinion so much as a fact). but i guess what it boils down to is that you want your mom and her wife to be there, right? i know that some factories are strict about leave (where my sister works they have points, etc. and truthfully it's a mess lol). idk what their policy is about leaving early or sick leave. but she doesn't have to tell them that she's leaving because you're having the baby....it would be embarassing, but couldn't she say that she has food poisioning, massive diarrhea, feels sick, etc. and needs to leave work? in my dad's factory that would be ok, but in my sister's they would give her points for it but would let her leave. i think that would be a better way to do it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Princess: Currently lol thats the plan. My mom is gonna call her and tell her to get sick..and shes going to and then leave. I am going to talk to my doctor about where I'd have to be like in dialation and such for it to be successful without a C-section..or what the rate is. I dont want to have it and it fail and I require a C-Section. Thanks Ladies
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010