He's digging holes in the yard! Shock collar????

J U S T K I D D I N G
But seriously, he's destroying my beautiful back yard. He dug up all my sunflowers and put 3 big holes in my rose garden. He's a small 8 pound dog but he's wreaking havoc on my home.
I don't want to crate him 24 hours a day and I don't want to babysit him outback either.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 8:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pets

• chicken wire- we had to do that with our dog. It stopped her
    *we put it in the dog run with rocks on top
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• cayenne pepper in the dirt. My grandmother used to do it when she got a dog that dug. It didn't affect her garden or her flowers but after a few times of trying to dig... the dog stopped. It irritates the dogs nose but they learn not to dig.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 9:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have a German shepherd dog, boxer mix, he does the same thing, and dug up all my tiger lilies this year. I found that if I give him more room to run, and actually give him toys that make him work to play with he runs out of energy and doesn't dig. We even went as far as getting a puppy to occupy him (not saying you need to) but it wears him out enough and gives him something else to do
    sandrab2011

Answer by sandrab2011 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well then do what you are doing. Ignore his needs, get mad at him for digging because you aren't going to help him, so why bother?

More helpful advice wasted, but thanks for trying collinbayleemom.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• He is probably bored. I would suggest being outside with him when he needs to be outside. Get some toys and play with him. Dogs are pack animals and want/need to be with their pack (you and your family). Plus there are WAY too many dangers for outside pets....he could run away and get sick or killed by another dog or wild animal, he could be poisoned by someone cruel, he could get run over, or he could get someone else's dog pregnant (if he isn't fixed, of course). If he doesn't need to be outside (to play or potty), he should be inside where he is safe.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:50 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• He has a doggie door which remains unlocked at all times. He is free to go inside and outside. He has a huge bucket of toys by the fireplace in the living room. I have 3 kids who play with him after school. I take him for a walk mid-day and take him for a car ride while I drop ff the kids at school. There is no way I am babysitting him while he's outside. I have a life and it does not revolve around this dog.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes, but YOU brought this dog into YOUR life, he didn't ask to be in it. Now, it is your responsibility to not only make sure that he is healthy and fed, but that he is also TRAINED properly. You can't expect him to know what you want unless you TRAIN him. He is a dog, NOT a mind reader! It's like when you have kids...you can't let them run wild and not teach them right from wrong and them expect them to just behave!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't see a problem with a shock collar that is used properly. I know there are those who disagree, but everyone that comes to my house wants to take my dog home with them. Say what you will, but I educated myself and consulted a pro, no cruelty here.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 3:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Shock collar looks better and better. As I stated, I am not babysitting a dog outside. Thanks all.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010