For Those Who Know and Understand Wicca

I saw a post in a different group where the ladies were saying that if you practice Wicca you must adhere to the strictness from which it was created and must be a part of a coven, etc. Otherwise, you really arent Wiccan and are just labeling yourself because you dont know any better and are uneducated on the how to be truly Wiccan.

Do you agree with that or do you think it really boils down to individual beliefs and paths?

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I follow the basic tenants of Wicca, but draw from many, I am solitary in my practice and do practice Witchcraft where some
    Wiccans do not... I do call myself Wiccan, but that is bc it is easier for most ppl to understand (if they have heard of this
    religious belief before)
    In a sense I am more electric in practice than a Wiccan of a Coven or a stricter Tradition. I have seen the same or similar
    statements made in other forums too, but I believe that ea person is entitled to their own opinion and thoughts...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'll be honest with you, it was that kind of thinking that turned me away from Wicca. My thoughts were that it sounded too much like the Christianity I was trying to get away from. I think Wicca, and any religious belief, is a very individual and person thing. No one HAS to do anything, but they are free to practice in a way that makes them most comfortable without causing harm to anyone else. If that means joining a coven, then great. If it means you prefer to be solitary, then that's fine too.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Do you agree with that or do you think it really boils down to individual beliefs and paths?  Yes, I do.  I have been a solitary practitioner for about 14 years now, since before my granddaughter was born.  I have never belonged to a coven, because I choose not to.  I don't have any "degrees" or "titles" bestowed upon me by anyone but myself.  My power is not lessened in any way just because some high priest or priestess hasn't sanctioned it.  There are those who need the fellowship and advice that they get in a coven, but this comes along with someone else judging you and your path.  Someone who doesn't know anything about you.  A coven is a personal decision.  I don't feel that there is anything significant that I can learn in a coven that I can't learn as a solitary.  Others may feel differently.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Everyone has their own opinion. There are solitaries and coven witches. In all honesty I think to each his own. There are guidelines to wicca in general but it also depends on what kind of tradition it is. Some have stricter guidelines than others and to call yourself a specific kind of wiccan you have to follow those guidelines or rules. It ulitimately boils down to beliefs and paths of the individual.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 9:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Some Wiccan covens and writers buy in to that kind of thinking, but I would say the vast majority of Wiccans do not. The majority of Wiccans are, at least for a time, Solitary practitioners. As with many other religious structures, Wicca has a number of "sub-faiths" some of which do require a coven membership, however, many others do not. Depending on the type of Wicca you follow, could depend on whether or not you fall in to a group which requires that kind of membership. Wicca, of and in itself, does not require a coven membership. The only real "rule" is that one follow the Wiccan Rede and hold the basic beliefs of Wicca...

I don't follow Wicca, instead I am more eclectic in my beliefs, so I use the term Pagan rather than Wiccan. However I do follow the Wiccan Rede as a basic rule and the Wiccan Calendar. I do not have the luxury of a coven at this time, so I remain solitary. In no way does that make me LESS or MORE Pagan.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes I do believe that you have to be trained in a coven to be a Wiccan...its basic tenets are not the Rede or a guiding principal or belief.. they are ritual format that takes years of training and teaching to fully understand. It is a path of serious study and hard work (like hand copying 100 page books and writing history papers and learning basics in herbalism, divination, ritual design and more) Reading Scott Cunningham and Silver Raven Wolf does not make one an initiated Wiccan at all.. However reading books and doing solitary study is a valid path, it is not the same at all as British Traditional Initiatory Wicca.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• That's why I call myself "Wiccish".
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I do not agree with this. In wicca you are free to find your own path and also practice as a solitary. Scott Cunnungham and Silver Ravenwolf write awsome books on this practice if you are intrested they would be wonderful reading for you. Good luck and Brightest Blessings to you and your family
    Aarionna

Answer by Aarionna at 8:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thank you.

I do practice "my version" of Wicca and it doesnt include needing a coven to follow it. I was just curious what others thought.

Personally, I thought the ladies who made these comments(including comments about how Scott Cunningham was a good writer but not really Wiccan cuz he didnt do the whole level graduations and such)were bitter about something and kinda mean especially when they knew there were those who practiced Wicca among them. It was rather snotty so I had to let it go as to not go completely bonkers on them for their attitudes LOL.
    Amaranth361

Comment by Amaranth361 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010