How common is it to need stitches after labor?

I haven't had my son yet, I find out when I'm being induced on Monday if he hasn't come on his own by then. I know it's common, but is it a definite? Does the doctor usually cut you or does he let you tear? My cousin ripped, but I didn't like her obgyn.

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 8:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You don't even know what's going on down there. I was cut and had stitches, but I had no idea at the time. It's really nothing compared to everything else.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It depends. The cutting is called a episotomy(sp) and its optional, and to me useless. My doctor let me tear with my first. It was a small tear and only needed 3 stitches. my 2nd and 3rd I didnt tear at all, nor did I have an episotomy. The better option imo is to risk tearing because from stories I've heard, an episotomy is HORRIBLE!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• So it really depends...you can tell your ob what you would prefer.. But whether you tear or are cut you will more than likely need stitches. When i had my daughter her head got stuck and the doctor said she had to cut me, and she stitched me up...it wasn't horrible!
    Limarey

Answer by Limarey at 8:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I tore both times. I didn't find that it was too terribly uncomfortable. I had heard that they try not to do an an episiotomy anymore as they have discovered that it can cause more problems than tearing sometimes. Also, they say that the healing time is the same either way. And that there is less blood loss and less complications later.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Not always... both mine I did :( First one I had an episotomy (12 stitches) and the second I ripped a tiny bit (2 stitches on inside). good Luck and Congrats on your little man. Boys are a lot of fun. :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had to for all 3 of my kids. It's not a fun thing to deal with. Ick
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I was cut with my first and tore with my second so I had stitches both times. I would rather have the episiotomy then the tear.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm not worried about the pain of tearing or being cut during the delivery. I can imagine not even noticing it with everything else going on. I'm just worried about the stinging feeling during healing, especially during like urination. I've had a tear down there from a non maternal related incident and it burned like crazy. lol
    I plan on having a natural birth, but I'm worried about aftermath pain! lol
    Thank you everyone!
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I didn't rip or tear with my son (my first), but tore with my daughter and honestly to me it stings the same after either. The sting usually lasts 2-5 days no matter what. GL and Congrats on your baby boy!!!! :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had an episiotomy and I tore. I think it all depends on your own body and your doctor.
    oneofeach26

Answer by oneofeach26 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010