is it safe yet to put a pillow in his crib yet ?

Hes one and i dont know if its okay to put a stuffed animal or pillow in his crib yet?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldn't put a pillow in there yet but a stuffed animal might be okay if you made sure that it didn't get too close to his face
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would wait a while, he is still pretty young.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I always had stuffed animals, but never a pillow until they moved to a bed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Same thoughts here- one lil stuffed animal would probably be ok, but I don't think a pillow is a good idea. My DS is 11 months and I have found him on his tummy with his face planted into the mattress- or the blanket over his face- they just don't quite know to turn away or fix their position.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• with my son he had a pillow since 4 months... He wouldnt sleep without one. My daughter is only 3 months now and still no pillow. To each its own.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• "Though they're often sold with crib bedding sets, pillows are not recommended for children under 2. Kids that small can easily suffocate while using one."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I gave each of mine a pillow when they started indicating they wanted one. My first was somewhere between 18 months and 2 years, and he would wad up his blanket and put it under his head like a pillow. My second was around 15 months, and she would steal my pillow (she sleeps in a pack-n-play next to our bed) and use it appropriately, so I gave her her own.

Your little one doesn't know the difference. If he's happy without a pillow, I wouldn't give him one. General recommendation is 2 years. If he somehow shows that he wants one and is ready before then, it's your choice. But I would wait until he wants one, personally.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My oldest is just now 25 months. When we put him in a real bed we gave him a very flat pillow. He has now choose to take my one lumpy pillow. But if they are in a crib, I would say no.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i gave my ds a pillow when he was about 6 months old..i put it under the crib sheet so he couldn't get it over his head
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The only reason doctors say not to give it to children is when they cant turn their head to move themselves to prevent suffocation. Im assuming at age one he can sit up, crawl, stand, and maybe walk. It is safe to give your child a pillow. IF your paranoid do what another mom suggested and put in under the sheet.

My son had a pillow from 3 months on btw..
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010