Belly button and circumcision care

What do I do? What do I need to buy? I have Vaseline- Do I put that on both his penis and his belly button or do I want them to stay dry? Do I put gauze over his penis in his diaper? Will I need alcohol for anything?- I hope not, I would imagine that being painful. And when does he get circumcised? Is it during the hospital stay? Is it covered under the mommy's insurance?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 9:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i'm curious too
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 9:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i have no idea but i hope i am having a boy too :) anyways my friend had a son and her insurance covered the circumsion i don't think she put anything on his penis i think they pretty much do all the caring for it at the hospital
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• well the belly button with my girls the hospital told me i didn't have to do anything to the belly button they said that it actually drys up faster if you don't do anything to it. They said to make sure you keep it dry though until it drys up. The other thing I am not sure since I don't have a boy, but my sister does and they sent her home with enough gauze for the baby and she only had to do it for like 1 or 2 weeks. I think she did have to put vasaline on it as well so it didn't stick to the diaper
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Alright lots of questions :) Ok most insurance DO NOT cover circ. Usually the doctor does it within the first few days of birth so yes it is in the hospital. My son, lost too much weight so he didnt do it. He did it in his office on day 8. You do not need alcohol or gauze. You will need to apply vaseline, every diaper change. it take 7-10 days to heal completely. Belly button you just leave alone. Will fall off within 2 months. Some babies within a few days. good Luck and congrats on your little man.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• oh and my sisters insuance did cover it and I think he had it done the day after he was born
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Oh and about the gauze, they but it on afterwards but you remove it within a few hours and just do the vaseline. If you have any other questions Id be glad to answer them. Oh and if you insurance doesnt cover it, its somewhere between 250-400
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thank you! I'm really glad I joined this site, I get answers to questions so much faster here than googling them. lol
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• One last time, You still need to pull the skin back at least once a day, until he is one. That way you are insured that everything is where you want it and he doesnt have to go through it again. I swear last time Im going to comment.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My insurance covered all three of our sons circs (first two were blue cross blue sheild, third one was medicaid). Our odlest and middle sons had it done the day before leaving the hospital our baby had it done the morning we were released (about 6 hours before we went home). When we went home there was gauze on there but we were told to tkae it off after 24 hours. Then each diaper change until it healed (about 2 weeks) we had to gently pull the skin back, clean it, and put neosporin on it.

As far as the belly button goes, you can use alcohol, peroxide or nothing at all. With our oldest and middle son we did the alcohol. Both of there's fell off between 2and 3 weeks, completely dried and no issues. With the baby we didnt' use anything and it took 4 weeks for it to fall off and it was still "fresh" underneath. I had to take him to the pedi so they could dry it up (silver nitrate I think is what he used).
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 9:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• DS wasn't circ'ed, but for the umbilical stump, just watch it for infection, and keep it dry until it falls off. Some recommend alcohol, but it's really not necessary.
    As far as I know, circ varies by insurance, so call your rep and ask them. Many don't cover it if you have to come back and do it after you've been discharged, but again, that varies.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010