Has anyone been harassed about pumping "breastmilk" at work?

Hi everyone. My daughter has a 3 1/2 month old baby and recently went back to work full time. Her manager has been very accomodating with the time and place to pump. However, there is a woman she works with that is very rude about it. Today she even called my daughter out about it in front of customers. (She works in a bank). She stated she can't believe that she can do that at work and she should wait until she gets home. My daughter was so upset she almost broke in to tears. She immediately reported the incident to the manager, but she is afraid the woman will continue to harass her when she returns to work tomorrow. Has anyone every been a victim of this type of treatment and what did you do about it? Any advice would be appreciated.

bogs4mom

Asked by bogs4mom at 9:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• She needs to file a complaint through her HR rep.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• She needs to file a harassment claim with human resources. That is blatant harassment. I don't blame her for being so upset! I'm sorry to hear she's going through this! I was fortunate, in that when I went back to work after DS was born, I worked at a birth center that also had milk donation, so they were more than accommodating!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Tell her to throw a copy of the FMLA guidelines in that ladies face if she does it again. Tell her to highlight the section that refers to the immediate dismissal of employees who hinder parents and caregivers from performing tasks necessary to the survival of those they care for.
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 9:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• bump
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 9:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Her coworker is wrong. There is nothing wrong with pumping at work. I work at a school, and gratefully, most of my coworkers are women who understand. But some people are just rude. Your daughter has every right to complain, and also, no reason to feel guilty at all. She's doing what she needs to do.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 9:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• definately file a complaint with HR right away!!!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry but your daughter needs to be the adult in the room. I think that if she's a mom, she needs to learn to shed stupid remarks from others and ignore them. Tell her to take heart that the woman just made herself look stupid to the customer. Likely the customer never thought one bad thing about your daughter. Work isn't high school. It doesn't matter what the cool/mean kids think or do. Just rise above. And, if she makes any more cracks in the breakroom, or away from the customers, the best revenge is to make it clear to her that her opinion doesn't matter. Something along the lines of, 'Well, if I cared what you thought, I would be devastated but I don't, so don't bother."
    I said something like that to a man at work who was trying to embarrass me and it really humiliated him.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 2:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010