Engagement rings.....what is yours?

If you have an engagement ring or will have a voice in choosing one, will you choose a traditional diamond or a different gemstone? For instance, I chose amethyst and citrine for mine in emerald cut. What did you or would you choose?

KnoxvilleDoula

Asked by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I have a 1/5 carot diamond soliatire and my wedding band is an antique style wrap around it. I love it and wouldnt trade it for anything
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Mine was pretty plain. It was a 5th carat in a teardrop shape (can't think of the actual name of the shape but I always referred to it as a teardrop). I just like that shape the best. The one I wanted was a 1/4 carat but we couldn't afford it so I had to settle for the smaller one.
    As it was my husband didn't pay it off until the week before our wedding (like 6 months after I picked it out) so I never wore it as an engagement ring. We couldn't afford to wedding bands so I just saved it for the wedding and it was what he used during the ceremony.
    I stopped wearing it a couple months later because I was pregnant and my fingers swelled and now, almost 9 years later, I no longer have it. Someone stole it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• If I remembered how to post pictures on here, I'd post a picture instead of the stupid link...but here's my promise ring :D

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10399703.jpg

It's just a boring old cubic zirconia, I bought it myself just so men would stop asking me out. It's very gorgeous in real life, I don't like overly ornate stuff anyway. My boyfriend and I are engaged but we're not planning a wedding yet, hence why it's just a promise ring. He's planning to buy me a real ring one day...but it's okay if he doesn't. I'll still love him :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• aww, justanotherjen that is so sad someone stole it :( i'm sorry.
    caitrawks, that is pretty! and it is a REAL ring. one reason i asked about it is i had some really odd reactions to my non-traditional, non-diamond. i will find a pic and try to post mine is from overstock too, lol!
    humaniterian, i love antique style ones, we looked at estate sales and never found any to fit my finger
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:01 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My fiance got me a 1 carat princess cut diamond solitaire ring. I love it! But now we're trying to figure out what the band is going to be. I think I want a wrap that has 2-4 princess cut diamonds on both sides. (I was sooooo shocked when he gave it to me on Christmas Eve last year! Aww! I miss him!) But I did want my ring to have 2 saphires (sp?) in it, cuz my favorite color is blue! But I love the ring that he picked out! It's perfect! :)
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 12:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My first husband gave me a beautiful ring. It was a 1/2 kt. round cut diamond with a sapphire and diamond wrap. All set in 14 kt. gold. We divorced after 4 years of marriage (he left me for a man).

My current husband never bought me one. We decided to save our money for the baby and our wedding. I found a ring at a department store for $10 and I love it! It's fake, but unless I tell you that you wouldn't guess it. It looks like diamonds set in white gold (wedding band is white gold). I love it! I'm not afraid to wear it like I was with the really expensive one.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Mine is 1/4 marquise diamond in 14kt gold band just a plain eangagment ring,but I love it and I love him.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 10:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• 1-carat radiant cut with 2 rows of bezel-set diamonds on the band; wedding ring is a single row of bezel-set diamonds. All set in white gold. The radiant cut diamond in a simple setting was my original engagement ring; had it reset/upgraded for our 15th wedding anniversary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Nov. 1, 2008