is there a right age u should discipline a child

paradyxe28

Asked by paradyxe28 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as your child is learning the difference between right and wrong and knowing that it is your responsibility to make him or her into a respectable citizen, it's entirely up to you on how to discipline your child.
    Anonymous

• I think when they start getting into trouble they can start getting disciplined at any age. If you don't start early they will start walking all over you. Take it from someone who has indentations of foot marks on her!!! lol
    erotikrose

Answer by erotikrose at 9:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Somewhere around 21 months we started using time out with my son, who is now 25 months. It was obviously less than 2 minutes at his age when we began and 2 minutes now. But it's mostly for throwing things when at the table. We are trying to keep "disciplining" to one main behavior right now. Like, concentrate on one behavior for 3 weeks. Too much is too much for everyone.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We started time outs around a year. We've also taken away toys that he throws or bangs after being asked to stop.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think when the child knows what they are doing they shouldnt be doing. My 14 month old knows when she is doing something she shouldnt be doing and does get punished. (time out for 1 min).
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• From the second they start misbehaving. An infant learns the same way a toddler learns, from the parent being repeditive and consistant. An infant isn't incapable of knowing the difference between right and wrong, but a lot of people believe that they are. My son knew exactly what he was doing wrong at 8 months old when he started climbing things to get out of his play area. He would give me this "Come and get me" grin and climb as fast as his little body could. He'd get in trouble and he'd get mad. There isn't an age limit on when the child understands the difference between right and wrong. There isn't an age limit on when they understand time outs or the word "No". My daughter just turned one and started getting time outs when she was 11 months old. She knew exactly what she was doing wrong and gave me the same exact smile her brother used to. They may not be able to communicate, but they sure as heck know how to manipulate
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It's never too early. Alot of parents don't want to do it when they are real young. The older they are the harder it is to get them to mind and show you respect.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• ditto on the above
    SAfogus

Answer by SAfogus at 9:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It's never too young even just for a sturn "No" My 10 month old will turn away from something when I say "no" but I'm sure she will rebel like her brother when she is older.
    With my son I say no and he usually says he is sorry. It depends on what happened though. If he throws his crayons he will say "Sorry Crayons" ahaha
    Miss_Magnolia.

Answer by Miss_Magnolia. at 10:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I started disciplining my daughter when she was less than a year old. But I'm not talking about PUNISHMENT. I'm talking about teaching her not to touch the stove, etc. Now that she is two, she is given logical consequences (for ex-if she throws her lunch on the floor, she has to pick it up and lunch is over...if she throws a toy then she can't play with it, etc). I don't use punishment at this point. I prefer to teach her right from wrong by teaching her to make good choices.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010