MIL question - would it bother you?

My MIL (mother-in-law) asked my husband what our son (he has autism) wanted for Christmas this year.. that didn't bother me.. the next question did... "Does he need any toys for his autism?" First of all are there toys for autism? Second of all does it matter? What do you think?

Thanks!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know, maybe she just doesn't understand autism, and meant nothing by it. You know her more then I.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think she was trying to be helpful and it came out wrong. She probably wanted to buy something that can be used for his therapies. She meant well!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• There ARE toys for autism,sensory toys.
    I'm sorry,I don't see what your MIL said was wrong.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't take it as offensive, it was probably her way of asking if their were any special toys out there that might be more appropriate for a child with autism, or more specifically your child's needs.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't think if I had an autistic child I would not be too offended I would be grateful for any help I could get from anyone. Now if my child was not autistic I would be pissed!
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I know when my niece was first diagnosed my sister had to buy her a kids photo album with all of our pictures in it. She used it to help place names with faces as a part of therapy. She probably meant something like that that can help her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with mompam
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• yes, rude the way she asked. Probably just a lack of understanding that lead her to such a dumb question though
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 9:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You can't get mad at people for not being up to date with everything. She obviously loves your son and wanted to make sure that if he needed specialty items, he was getting them. I would not be offended, I would be thankful to have a MIL who was interested in my son's development and well being.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I can't stand my MIL, and was ready to pounce on this question! However, I have to agree with everyone above. It sounds like she was wondering if there were any therapuetic toys that would be best for him. A lot of people haven't had much experience around kids with autism, and don't know the best way to broach the subject. Try to be understanding, it sounds like she's trying to be supportive of your son. :) best of luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010