Sleeping in swing

My son is now 7 weeks old and since we came home from the hospital he will only sleep in the swing. I dont mind it at all, but was hoping to transition him to the crib and his room soon. any suggestions on how to go about doing this? he really likes the swing at night and sleeps for 4-5 hours waking only for a 15 minute nursing session and then back to sleep again for a solid 4-5 hours. im afraid that if i put him in his crib he will be waking every 15 minutes like he did before...any suggestions on transitioning (also our bedroom is downstairs and his up which adds to the frustration of the every 15 minute thing). should i wait until after his major growth spurts (like after 12 weeks), or start now?

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally would wait. Both of my kids slept in their car seats and swings until they were 6 months old and then I moved them to the crib. Surprisingly they both took to it very fast. It may take a few nights for them to sleep thoroughly once you move them, but they will adjust. If you want you could move him now, but I would wait. GL

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Can you put a small bed/crib thing in your room until he is transitioned? Maybe even get a side car for your bed?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would suggest starting it now, so that he becomes used to sleeping in his own bed. I would do this by swaddling him in a light blanket. The comfort of being all cozied up will help him feel safe, like he does in the swing. If you play music while he's in the swing, then I suggest getting some music to play in his room. A lot of babies have out of whomb shock, for lack of a better name. They go from being curled up to this huge bed and it can be quite intimidating. By swaddling them or placing them in a positioner can help ease them into sleeping in their own bed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• don't fight what works wait til he's a smidge older and then switch him to his crib it'll be easier on everyone
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 9:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would do it now, my daughter slept in her swing for about 6 months she wouldnt sleep anywhere else it was so hard to get her to sleep in her bed after that. we started putting her in her bed for daytime naps until she was able to stay asleep and then slowly quit using the swing all together. My daughter also ended up with torticullis (where the neck muscles arent as stong on one side) and we had to take her to physical therapy...I blame it on letting her sleep in the swing even though the therapist said there wasnt a way to know for sure, I am pretty sure she just didnt want me to feel bad. We had to do painful exercises to help strengthen her neck muscles. I am sure this doesnt happen with all babies but just wanted to caution you. good luck momma!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i would get something for him to sleep in ur room! to make it easier and switch him now! my dd broke 3 swings cuz it was the only thing to get her to sleep for months! we still have to rock her at night sometimes!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You want to sleep? Let him be! Lol!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You need to keep him sleeping in the same room with you until he is at least 6 months old (this lowers the risk of SIDS). You are going to want baby close by for nighttime nursing, in the swing or out. I can't imagine having baby on a different floor form me until over a year old.
    As long as it is one that reclines, so his head doesn't tip to one side, there is no reason to get him out of the swing right now, if it is working just keep doing it. My LO slept in her swing for most of her naps until she was 6 month old and then went into the crib just fine.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i would wait they are only this size once and he will get to big and uncomfortable to sleep there for long i would wait it out. good luck
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 11:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My 1st son slept in his swing for 9 months. And my 2nd son is almost 4 and he is still sleeping in his swing. He will go to his crib soon enough dont stress. Its perfectly safe and healthy for the baby to sleep in his swing...
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010