if u have a child with bioplar or family member or a family friend that has bip-child

what do u think now as u look back were early signs that showed mental illness in your child .
or the child u know
i have a feeling bc my son who is 3 is very intense. could end up with some kind of mental illness.. im not projecting.. he is very young now
i just want to hear from those that have gone through mental illnes with a child.. what did 20/20 show u as u look back and now know there is a problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was diagnosed with depression in elementary school, but now that I understand a little more about different disorders, I think I may actually be bi polar. I was very sensitive. I got my feelings hurt easily, threw tantrums, sometimes I would get sad and cry for no reason. Id go through phases where I had absolutely no motivation. I used to have VERY bad thoughts about myself and what I could do to end it. I would do things to hurt myself.
    People these days are always saying that doctors are too quick to medicate, but I honestly don't think I would be alive today if I hadn't been medicated and gotten help. I'm not trying to scare you, but these things can be serious. I'm proud of you for recognizing that there MIGHT be a problem and doing your research. I would recommend talking to your childs pediatrician. Best of luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I was 7 when I started therapy and was diagnosed with depression. I was 9 or 10 when I started medication. However I was not properly diagnosed as BiPolar 2 til I was 19... Child hood mental disorders are very hard to diagnose and BPD is especially hard at a young age. However there is more and more proof that the use of medications for lesser mental illnesses can actually cause "worse" mental illness later in life. In fact a doctor I spoke to recently feels that it was my being on Prozac at such a young age which may have actually taken me from simple Depression to full blown BPD later in life... However, in my case it's hard to really pinpoint.

My son, is 4, and he has an anxiety issue. We started noticing issues around 13 or 14 months of age. However, as long as we are able we will treat the behavioral issues and try to teach him to deal without meds, rather than going that route. If you have fears, talk to a dr.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2010