how did you get rid of head lice on your child

Please don't answer saying you have never had lice EWW. We have never had lice before my daughter came home with them today.

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 10:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Health

• I just got done with a horrible infestation of lice from the kids of my neighbors bringing home from school and their mom doing nothing about it until the county stepped in. First of all, the FACTS: lice can ONLY live on humans. They are not interested in your pets fur - they like HAIR. Vacuum every day but you don't have to go crazy on the washing. Put them in black garbage bags for a month. NONE of the "lice shampoos/treatments" work. NOT EVEN THE 5X's prescription from the doctor. They are resistant to it. Had they worked I wouldn't have spent all summer long with these pests! THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS according to my public health dept is to douse your head, scalp and every strand of hair with olive oil, leave on for 15 hours straight. Do this EVERY 4 days to keep them from coming back when the eggs begin to hatch. Do this for a month. Each and every day use a WIRE (not plastic) nit comb through EVERYONE's hair. DAILY!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• There are certain shampoos that you can get, BUT you also need to thoroughly clean all of the fabrics in your home because it can live there to. You'll need to clean couches, pillows, carpet, stuffed animals, ect. so that it doesn't come back.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i agree with skittles about cleaning everything. and the shampoo is called RID. be sure you tell the school if they are in school
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• mix some tee tree oil with a lot of vaseline-- (how much depend s on length and thickness of hair but you need to super super saturate the dry hair with the vaseline wrap the head in a none breathable shower cap--leave it on the head overnight---- wash all linen use HIGH HEAT DRIER to dry --vacuum everything --- buy new hair pieces and brushes-- comb out hair with a nit picking comb-- until youve gotten out all of the vaseline and once a day until treatment #2

and in 10 days do it ALL again

keep in mind RID and all those commercial products are neurotoxic to the louse AND to the human you're applying it to and 50% of lice now are resistant to it anyway
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• everyone is giving you good advice...dont forget to vaccuum the car and wash car seat covers. You can also vaccuum the mattresses. You need to check everyone in the house and possibly treat everyone. The eggs will need picked out by hand and are easiest to see in sunlight. anything that cant be washed can be sealed in plastic bags for a certain amount of time (cant remember how long but I think it is at least 2 weeks to a month)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• vinegar works great on hair, but who wants...I agree with tea tree oil it works WONDERS...and I agree the products, most lice/eggs are immune to. any stuffed animals or anything that can not be washed can be bagged, and stored away for 2 weeks...minimum.
    Punk.Princess24

Answer by Punk.Princess24 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wash all linens, bedspreads. and pillowcases. Take all soft, fabric toys and place them in garbage bags for up to six months. Lice can get in these and breed. You have to starve them out.

Wash everyones clothes in hot water. I use a bit of lice shampoo with my detergent.
    Vacuum everything, all floors, furniture, even stripped beds then change the vacuum bags.

I used to be a kindergarten teacher and yes, I have had lice. You are not dirty. Lice look for a host and they are hard to find. Most people do not find lice until they find nits in hair.

If you have boys, I recommend a short hair cut. That is easier than girls with long hair and having to comb every hairstrand with a nit comb to get the nits off.

Good luck.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Do not give in or give up - if you aren't diligent, remember these buggers ARE! I had to cut my hair off 16 inches to be able to comb through it because I have very thick, curly hair that was really long.

We have been rid of them for 2 mos and we still comb through our hair at least once a week with the nit comb to make sure. Also, about combs and brushes - you don't have to replace them. Soak them for 1/2 and hour in water with 1/3rd bleach. Then, do NOT share any combs/brushes with each other. Each family member needs their own! This is a must! I replaced all the pony tail holders though but again, if you soak in bleach water - you do not have to. Just DO NOT SHARE!!!

Remember, they cannot live on anything except humans. They are not going to hop from one strand of hair on the floor to your head. Contact your local health dept. for further questions.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sorry mom2boys1997 but I have to disagree about the need to bag things for 6 months. One month is plenty because lice that have hatched can only live for about 72 hours without a host. I know this is true because I lived a 90 day nightmare with them! Changing vacuum bags daily isn't really helping either because they are not going to crawl out of the bag. By the time they'd even get that far it will be more than 72 hours and they will be dead. They can only live with a human host. The most important thing is to keep doing the olive oil treatments every four days for 15 hrs for a month to get through all the eggs hatching stages.

A great way to control your hair while it's in the olive oil treatment: we put a shower cap on over our hair, and a bandanna over that.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I know when i worked at the after school program they used i think the name is rid x is a comb that you use but to make sure ask the pharmacist
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010