Does your toddler cuss?!

My DS has picked up on a couple cuss words from movies that we watched recently and walks around repeating them now. How do I get him to stop?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• tell him that is a grown up word and if he says it he will have to go to time out. that's what i do for my kids.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my daughter said "what the hell" once...it was sooooo cute...lol so i had to change my wording, and started saying "what the hecky"
    she was about 2.5 when she said it..i didnt make a big deal out of it..because i knew if i did, she would just keep saying it..then when she was 5, she said "ohhhhh damn it"...and i told her kids arent allowed to say those kinds of words..and she never has again, she is 6.5 now.
    wishinforlove

Answer by wishinforlove at 10:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No. If we do cuss we don't make a big deal out of it when he does, because if you do they will continue using that word...to test you.
    Punk.Princess24

Answer by Punk.Princess24 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My older daughter never did, but my younger one picked up a couple of not-so-nice words from TV. We let her immediatly that it was not okay to use those words and each time she would have time out.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Replace it with a word you like to hear.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• just don't make a big deal out of it and it won't keep happening. Thats what I was told anyways. I haven't had an issue with my doing it though but I wanted to make sure I knew how to handle the situation if it came up
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• my daughter dosent cuss but she is 2 and my husbands family says the God alot in vein like Oh my God so my daughter started saying it and i know its not really big deal but i just dont like the word so everytime she said it i would say no its oh my gosh and she picked up on it fast so just change the word if its the f word say no you got it wrong its freak and so on like heck dang im from the south lol so sounds a little country but it seems to work because at that age they do not want to be wrong
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Tell him that is a bad word and he is not to repeat it again.

Personally my child especially at 2 would never watch a movie with cursing in it. He is now 5 and does watch some with cursing...Avatar is his favorite movie. But he understands the difference between what is appropriate to say and what isnt.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No, because I don't cuss.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• So far, no. We try to be careful about not cussing around him, but I know we've slipped up a few times and were lucky that he didn't repeat it. I do have a funny story about thinking he was cussing one day. He learned how to say BOOSTER SEAT, but it sounded like 'boo seat', so we kept thinking he was saying something else until he was pointing at his booster seat and saying it. LOL
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010