Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

please help!!

I have a 2 year old niece, Jazlyn, who is the light of my life but I feel my sister is abusing her. My niece is very picky about food my sister either forces her to eat or let her starv another incident was my sister was irritated at her bf and decided to take it out on my niece she yelled at her to come to her but she came to me wrapped her helpless hand around my finger tight looked down and shook her head my sister grabbed her and dragged her to her room and i felt so bad knowing that i could do nothing my sister neglected my niece at 3 months old met a new guy got pregnant and now wants her back her boyfriends sister is encouraging my sister to lock my niece in a room door closed when she cries. I sometimes get to keep my niece for the weekend or a few days and she is always happy my husband adores her and she loves him she has never thrown a tantrum with us and have never had to punish her i will post pics on my profile

Answer Question

Asked by rtorres0223 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 8 (222 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • call cps on your sister and if your niece is taken away see if you can get custody of her i'm sorry this is happening :( *hugs for jazlyn*

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • How big of a fight do you want to get into with your sister? If it's a big one, start documenting EVERYTHING and petition for custody. Have you asked to have your niece for longer than a few days? Make it seem like you are helping your sister out and then you know for those few days the child is safe. You are in a very tough spot and I really don't know what else to tell ya...good luck with it all and I hope for the kid's sake things work out for the best for her.

    Answer by michelle121003 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • That's a hard one, because you obviously want to (and should) protect your niece- but then I know how much I dislike when someone questions my parenting styles or gives me suggestions on how to do something. I am not sure what advice to give ya! I think I would tell you to let her be the parent, unless you feel it has truly turned to child abuse or neglect. Some parents are more tough than others. You could try to say something- or just ask her if she needs a break, maybe she's feeling overwhelmed and would gladly let you take your niece for a weekend.

    Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • If you believe a child is being abused you must always call CPS, no matter who their mother is. The child is the most important and I understand if you're worried that it may damage your relationship with your sister but if you believe she's being abused then you need to call CPS so they can remove her from the site of the abuse immediately.

    Answer by sbubbabubba at 10:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • I don't see anything wrong in the realm of food. To me if a child is picky you do not give in you just make them eat what you fix and if they do not want it then that is their own fault for not eating. Her taking out things on her when she is mad at someone else is wrong. She should however listen to her Mom and not run away when she asks her to come. How awful for a Mom to leave their child. I don't know it does not sounds like she is the best Mom but some of the things do not sound awful. My kids know that when they cry I put them in their room until they calm down and then they come out. I don't see anything wrong with that either. I don't see anything that would be worthy of calling CPS or anything like that. Maybe talk to her about your concerns.

    Answer by Melbornj at 10:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Call cps and keep calling until they do something make sure you make the calls anonamously because the new law states that a parent even if arrested still has the right to choose who get their child. Even if under investigation for child abuse. Until the parents loses their rights the courts allow them to choose the guardian. That being said I doubt your sis will let you get your neice if she knew you called cps on her. My sis in law let a lady wgo she knew for a month take my nephews instead of me taking them. Good luck!

    Answer by mymestey at 10:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • Call CPS.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 10:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • I am suspicous when everyone starts saying "CAll CPS"because it is sometmes just a way to feel superior and ":tell on" people. It could be a disaster and make things even worse. I would say be careful and be absolutely sure before you call anybody. All I see here at CM is Moms saying "CAll CPS". Its just nuts. It is too dramatic and drastic. Be careful.

    Answer by kerp1960 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • get you Niece help-- her mother needs parenting classes and some time off call CPS they can help you help her

    Answer by MELRN at 10:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

  • The things you have pointed out here IMO don't sound that bad. My son is a picky eater and I have made him eat things he doesn't want. Left to him, he would only eat pop tart and chicken nuggets. After several power struggles there have been times I have just said fine, you don't eat your dinner, you don't get snacks later. Because that is what he wants. He will eventually eat real food when he's hungry. A child won't starve theirself. I also expect my boys to come to me when I call them, not run and hide. I would come find him and take him to his room also. Yelling at your child when your angry at someone else isn't right, but let's be parents we get frustrated and I'm sure most of us at one time has used a harsher tone on our kids as a result of something unrelated. We aren't perfect. I don't see abuse or neglect in your post. That would be the only reason to report to cps.

    Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Parenting Debate
Sex Ed....

Next question overall (Health)
Aspen Dental?