does anybody have a big huge orange tabby cat that is female (queen)?

my mom had a big huge orange cat when i was a baby and it was a boy (ignats), then when i was a teenager we got one from my neighbor down the street and he was a boy too (he had a twin that was a boy too lol), and now i have another huge orange tom cat! does anyone actually have a huge orange female? i'm so curious....never saw a female (queen) orange tabby cat!

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I've never seen one myself, but they are possible. They would require the father to be orange and the mother to be calico - although that would not guarantee orange female offspring.

I just learned an interesting thing about cat coat colour the other day: the colour gene for cats is on the X chromosome - like all mammals they have a set of 2 chromosomes - so females are XX and males are XY. Because males have only one X chromosome deciding the colour they can have *either* black/brown or orange(which is a mutation) - and the presence of white patches is controlled by a separate 'modifier gene'. Females can have an X chromosome with orange and another X chromosome with black/brown which is why they can be calico. The very rare male calicoes are actually XXY males.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 5:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I thought Orange Tabby cats are always boys

Calicos are always girls

and pure white were all blind?
    thats what they say at the shelter I occasionally volunter at
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't know about the pure white being blind. My son has a pure white kitten,named Ziggy we adopted from our shelter (she was born there after her Momma was dumped off, pregnant), and she sees just fine. In fact, she's climbing all over the computer, trying to chase the cursor, as she sees it moving. She's a real hoot.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 10:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• no, it is not true that white cats are blind. maybe they were thinking of albino? albino would not necessairly be blind but they would have poor vision compared to a non-albino.
    really i never heard that orange tabbys are all toms! it is true in my experience....i am really really curious now! lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Our huge yellow cat was a female. She was indeed the queen of the house. She was in charge, and we were all just her lowly minions here to cater to her every whim! LOL. We lost her in Sept, and I miss her so much. She was a good kitty.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 10:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• ook, cool jaycie. yeah, isn't it funny how female cats are queens? truthfully boys should be kings instead of toms lol. ok, there was at least one in the world! i can sleep now lol. sorry for your loss though. i had a little grey cat for almost 20 years and i was so sad when she died
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thanks, princess. It was hard to lose Lilly. We adopted her from the shelter, also. She was truly one of a kind. She was so fat, that when she ran, her fat jiggled underneath her. That's not why we lost her. She was just really old, and was starting to have a few problems.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 11:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• aww, that sounds like my bumbles. we adopted him not long ago and he was fat and old (8yo), but he is such a sweetheart we all fell in love! but now he's having many problems and he's on steroids (which made him even fatter lol) and i just don't know what's going to happen to him. the second orange cat is still around, he just lives with my sister. his name is also bumbles lol. he's almost 15 years old now. if the kids don't worry me to death then the cats sure will lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have a 1 year old HUGE orange tabby female cat. Her name is Spaz (and it's not hard to figure out why when you see her) lol she plays hide and seek with me, roughs around with the dog, bosses me around. She even has this demanding obnoxious meow when she wants to get fed. My vet told me that in order to have a female orange cat, her mom would either have to be orange (which she was) and that the grandma would have to be a calico... or something like that lol I just know it involved a calico to end up with a female orange kitty. And it was reversed to have a male calico. Wish I could remember because it was actually pretty interesting.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There are female orange cats but they are not as common as males ( I have met several from working at a vet and shelter) The females though are not always as laid back and some tend to have tempers. I have had several orange cats but never a female I prefer the males though

There can be male calicos but they are very rare and most don't live long.

White cats with blue eyes tend to be deaf but not always. White cats in general are not blind. It can happen but it is just not a white cat thing
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010