!0 yr. old Son has a reaction to chickenpox booster. What do the dr's do about it? Anybody went thru it?

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 10:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Health

• He is 10.
    Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Is he ok? What happened?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• what kind of reaction? he got the chickenpox or more of an allergic reaction?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• He has a rash around the injection site, no fever, red streeks or any breathing problems. "Just" the rash (which is almost 2 inches big) and he is very sore.
    Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That is actually one of the things that they say is possible when you get the chicken pox vaccine. I don't think it is that unusual. I don't think that the doctor would do anything about it. What are you looking for them to do?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i would just call the office and let them know that it happened, but i don't think the tenderness is a big thing (they usually are tender at the injection site). they might want to take a look at it later if the rash persists (but definately call them to let them know it happened).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That is what they consider a mild reaction and occurs in about 1 out of every 5 children given the shot. You should, however, call the doctor and ask him to file an adverse reaction report form.
    I don't know if any medical treatment will be required, most likely not as long as the reaction does not get worse than what it is right now.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That's pretty normal. Those muscle shots are awful. My little guy gets redness around the injection site and a bump underneath. I freaked out the first time and called the doctor, but they said it should go away in a day or two and sure enough, it did.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I already informed the dr. and they say if it keeps growing anymore to come in, and I was just wondering what they would/could do about it, if it is bigger in the morning...?

Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2010