Pregnancy discrimination. Will I win?

I recently started a job, that I had worked for before. They asked me to quit my other job so that I could work the hours they needed. So I did. More hours promised equals more money. Anyways. So I was working everyday, besides sunday [they are closed] and one day during the week.. They would call me in for shifts I wasnt schedueled for, and they wouldnt say anything about how I did my job. I was a server.. I know my job. One day, my boss askes me if im pregnant.. I knew but wasnt readyt o tell.. I said yes and after that. my hours went down hill.. I am not working two days. and I asked why they made up so many excuses, today I ask and they say its because Im pregnant and they dont want me to fall.. ? What can I do?

Robingee31

Asked by Robingee31 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Call the Labor Board
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would talk to an attorney. Even if you do win, I would say that they will start looking for other reasons to let you go.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You could go through the trouble to do something about that but in all honesty, it is pretty dangerous. You're right in saying that they should have been up front with you though, instead of feeding you excuses. I serve at a movie theater and I'm known for being clumsy and now that I'm pregnant they don't want me behind the counter so I understand. I know it's for my own safety but that's the job I prefer. It's a tough situation. You could sue for discrimination but it's going to cost far more than it's worth. Just talk to your boss and see if they can change you to hostess or something that they don't feel is so dangerous.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 10:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree that they are not quite reliable, for what you are looking for and you should look elsewhere.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I know lots of people who have served/bartended pregnant. Not one of them have had their hours cut. I would definitely call the Labor Board. I don't know what state you are in, but I believe it's discrimination.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It's what we call Legal Discrimination. I have had it done to myself. What it is they find other ways to get rid of you without saying it's your pegnancy. That way you can't sue them. You are going to have a hard time suing them if you don't have any other evidence except your hours got cut. You need documented conversations, someone needs to come out and say it's because your pregnant.

Then there is the fine line between being accomodating to your pregnancy. They could just say they thought you were getting worn out so they gave you a break.

I've been through this. I know it's not what you want to hear. But this will be a tough one.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ive been serving my whole pregnancy.. I know tons of women who do it.. My mom, my sisters. They couldnt tell I was pregnant.. I am five months and I look like im two. We dont have a hostess, or a busser or anything. We are a sushi place.. They've hired two waitresses since they found out.. and they said they'll cut my hours even more next week.. I live in Yuba california.. and its not the biggest place in the world.. Im lucky to have this job. Im just upset that they had me quit my other job who was fine with me being pregnant..
    Robingee31

Comment by Robingee31 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Musicmom.. Tonight she said it was because I was pregnant.. and as soon as she said It I went and told another waitress, just so so meone else knew.. Everyone I work with knows its because Im pregnant.. they talk about it all the time.. Thanks for all the answers though
    Robingee31

Comment by Robingee31 (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Honey, I'm not saying it's right. And I know it sucks. But believe me, they aren't stupid. They know just how to get what they want without getting in trouble. I've been the boss and seen what corporate wanted me to do at times. They told me how to cover things. It was so dirty, hense why I no longer work for that company. I have a conscience.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well unless people are willing to risk retaliation at their job to give you a written statement of the conversation, she could just say it's not true. They will also use the argument that you weren't performing your job to the best of your abilities so they hired someone else. It's all debatable. Go ahead and do what you are gonna do, but I just think you may be creating more stress for yourself. I'm sorry this is happening to you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010