how can i get my little one to stop using me as a pacifier?

i breast feed and my daughter likes to fall asleep on the nips or just hang out. how can i get my little one to stop using me as a pacifier?

ilasmomma

Asked by ilasmomma at 10:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know, but when you find out, can you let me know lol. My son does the same thing.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 10:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• That's what those things on your chest are there for *grin*
    Hang in there, this time goes by very quickly!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Its good for your supply.

My DD just started preferring her thumb at 5 months. Or my chin. Which i think is because of teething.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm guessing she's a newborn.... it won't last forever. I did start offering my son a paci when he was a few weeks old.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You just have to wait. Each child is different. My first was a comfort nurser, a sleep nurser, and anything else you could think of. My second was just business, and that was that, even from the first feeding right after birth.

I know how tiresome it becomes, but it is what your baby needs at this time. Let your baby lead at this point, but don't forget to take time for yourself as well.

And Congrats for nursing!! It is well worth all the effort! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• In time it will stop. RIght now it is comforting. You may want to gently remove the nipples when the child is fast asleep.
    sunshine0504

Answer by sunshine0504 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Your baby is NOT using you as a pacifier. Babies NEED to suck and the best way to satisfy that need is at their mother's breast. A pacifier is a replacement for mom. There is nothing wrong with comfort nursing. I know it can be frustrating when your baby does it all the time, but you are taking care of your baby's needs.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010