Could I possibly have an eating disorder. *I really want to cry*

During the day I will eat very little and sometimes not at all. Not because I dont want to it is just I get busy and I just dont get hungry. I also feel guilty about eating like I will be afraid that if I eat then there might not be enough food for my kids to eat. I have this fear that if I eat then my kids wont have anything. My husband works hard but our money is really tight and so grocerys are really tight. I buy what we need without me in mind. I will think of everyone in the house and buy enough for them but not for me. I would rather they ate than me. But at night I binge eat. On average I can eat like 3 sandwiches a bag of chips and a 2 liter soda and still wan. I dont mean to. I usualy only want to eat something small but once I start I cant stop. I dont get full either. I just eat and eat and eat. I don't purge though so that is why I am unsure if it is an eating disorder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Health

• maybe make a conscious effort to spread your meals throughout the day. but it does sound like you need to speak to someone about it. eating disorders are not just limited to anorexia, bulimia and compulsive eating. there is a huge array and there are people out there who can help you cope and give you solutions. gl

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Binge eating is an eating disorder. You should talk to a doctor about it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, binge eating IS an eating disorder. You need to see your doctor and get a referral to a counselor to help you overcome your issues before you get sick or worse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Eating disorders are usually tied to a deeper problem--often control issues or a sense of helplessness. See your doctor and maybe a counselor or psychiatrist to try to identify if there's something going on that you are self-medicating with this odd eating patter. But first, set some goals for yourself: reasonable portions during the day, and a cut-off time after which you don't eat at all. If you can just practice discipline, then go for it!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Even if its not a "eating disorder" it does sound like you have a lot of stress that could be effecting your eating habits. My family is under a lot of financial stress, my dh lost his job. And just from pure stress I couldn't eat. And, like you, I didn't want to take food away from my kids. I would go 2-3 days not eating at all. Then eat once, and not eat again for another couple days. I lost almost 10 lbs in a week. I knew it wasn't healthy so I had to start forcing myself to eat at least once a day. Talk to your Dr. About it.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Actually, Binge Eating IS an eating disorder. Like the others said, you should really speak with a doctor about this. Good luck, momma!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2010