Sleep training?

My 8 mo. old WAS sleeping through the night at 3mo. until just a couple weeks ago. Now he gets up 2 or 3 times a night.

What types of sleep training are out there and has anyone tried them?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There really is no such thing. I'm in my 40's and I still don't sleep through the night!! LOL! A child will go through phases of sleeping good and sleeping not so good! It's just life. No one ever sleeps through the night 100% of the time. Don't fall into any other mom's nonsense when they tell you their child sleeps though the night every night. Children will get sick, children will have too much caffeine, children will have too much stimulation. That's how it goes!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well, don't talk much, turn on tv, lights, radios at night, and during the day open blinds, let in sunlight, that is one way to train the household when it is time to be sleeping and awake. You may want to keep him up a tiny bit longer by giving a longer bath before bedtime, with lots of playing :P
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm one of those moms who let my son CIO but not until I had tried everything else I could come up with or read about or get from other people. It wasn't until I finally let him work through it that we were all much happier. I don't go around telling moms to do this, because it's very hard, but I do believe there are some kids who need to work it through on their own in order to learn to put themselves back to sleep. I know that's a very unpopular view in most people's opinions, but I know a few other moms who've had the same experience.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sounds like separation anxiety... in which case, sleep training that involves leaving him to his own devices WILL be counter productive.

MOST babies don't sleep through at 8 months. Consider yourself lucky to have gotten 5 months and comfort your baby when he needs it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I baby proofed my sons room and let him play until he gets tired which is usually after supper, and after our nightly movie or show, and he plays for about 30 mins then is ready for bed, no fuss. but if urs is only 8 mos, I would try less naps if he is taking any, and keep him stimulated as much as possible a few hours before bed.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 3:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We had a consistent night time routine from day one. Bath, reading books, lights out, shades drawn, soothing/rocking/cuddling until the baby got drowsy and then we put them to bed and left the room. They might fuss a little but it was not screaming their lungs out or anything like that. They learned the cues for bedtime and nap time very early and were good sleepers and happy babies. If they woke up at night we gave them time to settle down by themselves (maybe 15 minutes or so) and then would go in and do the same soothing that we always did. We, of course, went right in if they were sick, had a cold, etc. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2010