Head lice at school...

Well luckily my daughter doesn't have it but some kids got sent home from preschool today with head lice and I totally flipped out. Just thinking about it makes my head itch. My daughter has REALLY long hair almost down to her butt so it'd be horrible if she got it. What can you do to prevent it? She knows not to ever wear anybody elses hats or jackets or anything. And I remember my mom seeing on tv where they said if you straighten your hair them your really less likely to get head lice bc of the heat and I do straighten her hair sometimes. I'm just freaking out thinking about it lol

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep using the heat. Don't worry, lice happens. This is the exact time of year these outbreaks happen.
    School isn't easier to get lice, it's just usually more kids in each others' presence, but once it's stopped it's up to
    people to keep their homes checked, like pillows, cases, sheets, your own brushes, etc.
    Anonymous

• Lice likes hair that is really clean. Im not saying send your kid to school with oily hair but dont wash it everyday. and also tie it up. Ponytail, braids or bun. Mine got it in KG. I had the worst luck. Took me 2 weeks to get rid of that stuff. and of course she had long hair..me 2...i wore a hair net doing her hair. Thank goodness thats been 4 years ago and none since!!! good luck...check daily
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• basically not sharing clothes or combs/brushes should be ok.....hopefully lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• not saying your girl will get it but if she does. Put all her stuffed animals in a trash bag tie it up, wash everything. linens...and spray everything in sight including your car (with lysol)....i went thru this same routine for 2 weeks. I was so happy when it came to an end
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My sisters (9 and 13) got it, and had it for 5 months. Use heat any time you can, blow dry her roots or straighten her hair daily to lessen chances of getting it.

If she does get it, they will stay close to her scalp. They aren't just the nits, the little yellow dots, either. They're an actual bug, and here's a link to what it looks like. If she does get it, you can try by dying her roots and about 3" of her hair a color very close to her natural color. Dying my sisters' hair is ultimately what it took to get rid of it after months and months of nit-picking.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• http://www.superhomeremedies.com/pictures-of-head-lice-3b.html
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Stressful and a ton of work! Just with all of the washing of sheets, soft toys, etc! I'm a behavioral specialist and work with children in preschool's so I've seen "lice epidemics" go through all of the schools I'm in!
    Now I know that this is the opposite of what people generally think, but lice love clean hair! What I have always done to try to avoid it is use mousse in my hair. You could lightly spray your child's hair with hair spray, put a hair gel in, or any hair product that you can think of! Your child won't look like she has dirty hair, because it's really not dirty! Only the lice will think it's dirty!
    Years ago, when I was a child, there was the lice shampoo but parents were told to cut children's hair very short if they had gotten lice. I was in 5th grade, with hair past my waist and very proud of it! I got lice from another child and had to have my hair cut so short, Very traumatic!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Tea tree oil. Add about a tsp. to her shampoo. It helps repel lice.
    sherenan

Answer by sherenan at 11:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• tea tree shampoo from local beauty store or health markets :) I would wash her bedding just to be safe
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Try ZIppity Doo's hair care products. They work great as a daily prevention. Smell nice and great packaging. www.zippitydoos.com.
    Soap.com has a 20% coupon right now and they are available there too. Coupon code:BY3MNDWYP7MQ0
    brookecaz

Answer by brookecaz at 10:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2010