Help make a 16-hour road trip manageable for my 19 month old!

Yes, I'm crazy. We're flying to my parents' house to purchase a car from them and then will be driving the 16 hr drive home in the new vehicle with my 19 month old. We plan to break up the drive into 2 days, take as many breaks as needed, AND do much of the drive in the evening when she will sleep; but during the day time hours, we need to find ways to help her feel sane. Naturally, she gets pretty wiggly after about 20 minutes in her car seat and becomes a tad fussy (ok, a lot fussy). I would love ideas on specific snacks and drinks that travel well and ideally are in individually wrapped packages. Also, any specific books, toys, or games that are good for a long car ride would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• believe it or not a child will most likely sleep the whole time... i've done it 3 times with my son... but on your stops do plan to be there for a while and when you do make that night stay just know that your child may not go to sleep for a long while.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Portable DVD player is a MUST on our longer car trips. I like to buy stupid little cheap toys and hand one back to DD every hour or so so that she can have something new to keep her a little occupied. We also stop at every other rest area (or every if they are really far apart) so that she can get out and spread her legs.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with AllAboutKeeley....been there and done that with not 1, but 2 kids! A DVD player is a MUST! Also, maybe buy one of those snap on trays for the carseat and that way she can color. (My 20 m/o LOVES to color). Other than that, the lots of stops you mentioned is about it. Not fun, but it's not that bad either (or at least it wasnt for us). GL!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I recently drove to Georgia from Texas and back with a 4 and almost 2 year old. I brought my laptop for movies for the older one and just random toys for the younger one. We drove all night so that made it easier. She ate a lot of french fries. :/ We would stop at a rest stop every few hours so they could get out and run around.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010