Can I bring back my milk supply?

My son got breastmilk until he was about 4 months, but it was always from a bottle because he never liked the breast. He would latch just fine, but hated the feeling of my nipple. He is 8 months old now, and I can still get drops of milk out of my breasts whenever I squeeze them. I quit breastfeeding at 4 months because that is when I became single, and it was near impossible to pump AND take care of a colicky baby at the same time, so I switched to formula. Being that I can still get drops out of my breasts and that my son is a little older, can I amp up my supply again? I feel so guilty that he had to have formula, I still beat myself up about it today. I know it will take TONS of work, but is it even possible? I am certainly willing to try because my son deserves the best and I will go to the ends of the Earth (so to speak, if the Earth were flat) and back to provide that for him. I would appreciate any info.

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can always relactate, unless your breasts are removed.

Nowthat he is older, he might latch better and enjoy it. You never know. You just have to try it a few times. He might get it on the first Try but maybe the tenth. Just offer then follow his lead.

Pump pump pump pump pump. Eat well,stay hydrated. You can do it.think of all the money you can save and all the dishes you don't have to wash!,
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Try putting him on the breast again. The best stimulator of breast milk is the baby's sucking. GL

keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Try to pump to stimulate your breast which would, in turn, stimulate milk production. Maybe try pumping 15-20 mins at a time every 2-3 hours at first. There is also a natural supplement you can take to up your supply called phenugreek. You would need to probably start with 8-10 capsules a day and decrease/increase the amount as needed. Visit kellymom.com. There are a ton of great resources there.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well I don't think putting him on the breast will do any good because form the moment he was born he didn't like it. Although come to think of it he HAS been staring at them lately lol. I guess I will just have to keep a full bottle of formula ready for after he does his thing.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the encouragement ecodani!
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm very curious to know how you determined your son did not like to breastfeed and if you also spoke with a lactation counselor about your breatfeeding?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes I spoke with a lactation consultant throughout my son's whole week stay in the hospital. He latched well on the breast, but within a few seconds, he started crying and took himself off the breast. And then when I would give him a bottle of breastmilk right after that he would stop crying and be just fine. I think its the feeling of the human nipple that he didn't like because god knows it wasn't because he had to work harder for it because just a slight touch would send the milk out the nipple.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thank you MommySteph02 I will look into it.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You have overactive letdown! It wasn't the NIPPLE he likes, it was the flow of the milk! Too fast for him to handle!(Like being drowned.)

EASY fix.... plop baby ON TOP of the breast, NEVER under. Gravity handles it. Look this up on kellymom.com.

Try putting him to breast now. He's older and I just BET it will be easier. Your LC missed this easy fix.
    Anonymous

• I tried again this morning and he absolutely refused. Like, he wouldn't even put it into his mouth. I am still going to try though. Some Fenugreek along with lots of pumping and water should help. He is 8 months old now but any little bit of breastmilk will be good for him.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010