Are there any ways to increase my milk supply so I'm able to pump so I can keep my baby on breast milk as I head back to work? I am having trouble getting more than 1 ounce for every 20 minutes of pumping.

gingerfargas

Asked by gingerfargas at 10:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The more you pump the more you'll produce. Unfortunatly it's really difficult to get milk through pumping sometimes. I've noticed that I can only get a good amount of milk out if I hold the pump at a certain angle. Otherwise nothing comes out.

Play with it a bit. Vary the intensity of the suction or the rate at which it sucks if you can. I found that if it pumps slowly then more milk comes out than if it pumped quickly. Try to alter the angle, holding your breast up or pulling it down or whatever. That can help too.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My biggest suggestion for you is to pump on one breast while you're feeding your little one from the other. This is the way that many moms I know have created their "back to work stash"
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I definitely am a BF mom, but lately I've been feeding my DD a bottle of formula at night before bed - it helps her sleep and it gives me a chance to pump what "would have been" her BF meal. If she wakes up during the night (usually once at least - she's 6 weeks old), then I BF again. I figure one bottle of formula per day won't hurt. It does help me build up my stash, though!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Drink tons of water and pump on a schedule just like feeding times. I had to pump when my baby was two days old for a week till jaundice went away, and I pumped on schedule, then when I could feed him, I nursed and then pumped two hours later then nursed in another two hours, and built up a nice stash. Try a different kind of pump, and their is a natural herb for building up milk supply but I would ask some one more qhalified than me about that.:-)
    raawmom

Answer by raawmom at 12:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2008