Does state insurance (medicaid) allow its carriers to have prenatal care/labor through birthing centers?

What I mean is do they pay for it? Its cheaper so it makes me wonder. I have medicaid Horizon NJ Health. I'm pregnant and thinking about having the baby in a birthing center. Does state insurance allow this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not sure about your insurance, but I have heard that a lot of insurance companies wont cover birthing centers... so you'll have to call and ask.Good luck!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You mean non-hospital ("freestanding") birth centers?

It does in some places, you'd have to check.

Did for my pregnancies, thank goodness!!!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Try calling the birth center you're interested in and asking them. The birth center I used to work at accepts Medi-Cal, which is the state insurance in CA. In fact, that's the bulk of their income!! The state loves it, because, you're right, it is MUCH cheaper. I think it's a wonderful option, and moms have a much higher satisfaction rating after giving birth at a freestanding birth center than moms who deliver in a hospital setting. I hope you get the answer you're looking for, and you get the birth you imagine! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2010