How do I get my 17 month old to sleep through the night?

Hello to all! My 17 month old son has decided he doesn't want to sleep through the night anymore. Well, not in his crib anyway. He will sleep if he's in bed with my husband and I but if he wakes up he screams til we pick him up out of his crib. He used to sleep all night til he got sick one week with a bacterial infection and slept with us one week. Now, eversince he wakes up EVERY night til we get him out of his crib. I don't want him to expect to sleep with us. He only did the one week because of his infection. Now, I can't get him not to. Any suggestions would be great since we are having a very difficult time getting him back on track after a month and a half!! Thanks :)

BlessedMom6309

Asked by BlessedMom6309 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just try to leave him in his crib but go in there and calm him down..when he is calm then go back to your room and leave him in bed. You might be able to try getting him in a toddler bed also. My son refused to sleep in his crib so we made it a big boy bed and now its hard to get him to come out of his room because he likes getting in his "big" bed lol. My son is 17 months old as well and we changed his bed over about 2 months ago. Good luck and hope things get better soon.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm actually going thoughthis myself with my 2yr old. The only thing that's helping my husband and I is when we put him back in his bed, we lay halfway in his toddler bed (head and arm) until he passes out. He comes back later in the night or earlymorning, but at least it's a couple more hours to ourselves. Maybe it's just an attachment phase? Here's going it ends soon!
    Mayanmommy

Answer by Mayanmommy at 2:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Let him sleep with you. He's only little this once... he'll outgrow it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thank you ladies! Shelii - We have a toddler bed and we are going to try that I think because even if I go in the bedroom he cries harder until I pick him up. It's like there is no calming him down. I am thinking maybe he doesn't like the rails on the crib - almost like he's stuck and he knows it and it scares him maybe. Good idea Mayanmommy! Since we will be pulling his toddler bed out, I will try laying by him in hopes that it helps. I don't know, maybe it is just an attattchment phase. I know he's only little once LeanneC, but I don't want him to just expect to sleep with me and my husband every night. I know several people that have a hard time getting their kids out of their own bed because they are just used to it. I want him to know it's ok to sleep by himself and he doesn't have to be scared. He can be comfortable in his room to, not just in mommy and daddy's bed. I will keep trying! Thanks ladies :)
    BlessedMom6309

Comment by BlessedMom6309 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010