How can I stop my 7 year old sucking her thumb?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• my dad told me that he was going to chop it off so i wouldnt have a thumb to suck lol....got me to stop real quick lol....nothing else worked
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• instead of trying to tget them to stop cold turkey try getting them to stop in public places. Everyone has an oral fixation, for some its gum, toothpicks, ends of pens, nails... the list goes on and on. Also try getting some of that sour candy spray stuff and have them try that everytime they want to suck their thumb, may help ease the sensation that they need. But for some it will never happen so just discouraging it while in public will help immensely. My parents tried for years and nothing helped but now i only do it when im alone and upset or nervous. lol and i found a spouse who still sucks his thumb and we are working on keeping him from doing it in public... Good luck!
    nrfountain

Answer by nrfountain at 2:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I know of a mother that had very good success with putting socks on her kids hands before they went to bed... The kids were Ok with this, they were old enough to understand and knew it was to help them stop this habit they wanted to stop. Anyway, they decided to put safety diaper pins on the socks to hold them on and also not be tempting to take them off. They were longer socks, attached the diaper pins to the sleaves of their pjs after pulling them up to be a comfortable fit. It worked!! As far as I know, they never sucked their thumbs again! They were probably about 7 or so too. Hope this helps!! P.S. It was not done in a cruel way, but a joint effort! P.S. The kids were old enough they could always go get momma if they needed help getting them off during the night, but usually they didn't notice them one they fell asleep.
    Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 3:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Put garlic or a strong spice on thumb rubber it for a couple of minutes so stay longer...
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 7:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• constant nagging. give her something else to do with her hands.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010