How do you make your mashed or whipped potatoes?

I know everyone makes them differently, just curious about different ideas. Thinking of trying something different for Thanksgiving.

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 4:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Add a couple cloves of garlic when you cook the potatoes. Then start mashing them next add butter and mash some more-very important that you do this before adding milk because the butter coats every bit of potato this way. I like to add half& half, Lawrey's seasoned salt and pepper. Cream cheese, or sour cream is also good to add.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The secret ingredient I use when doing mashed potatos is when I boil them, I use 1-2 bay leaves...my hubby says they are better than his mom's potatos.
    yellarose

Answer by yellarose at 8:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I will cut off the skins cut them into chunks and boil them until done but not too mushy. Then the key is to keep everything hot when mashing them. Warm milk too and then they will be nice and fluffy.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Simply boil and mash with a little butter and a little cream instead of milk sometimes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I mash them with a masher and with milk and real butter
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I either peel them first and cook them........or cook them with the skins on in halves, as they are easier to peel after, but if red potatoes, I leave the skins on.

Then after draining them, add the butter, a bit of salt and pepper to taste then use milk or half and half like others here use too. Then mash away with the potato masher.

And it is a good tip like Moms Angels says..keep the milk warm...just a few seconds in the micro does it.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• All of the regular stuff with the milk and the butter, but I roast garlic ahead (doesn't taste garlicky like that). Depends on the amount of potatoes, but I always roast at least one whole garlic. After it's roaster, you can just squeeze the garlic out into a bowl. It's very creamy! Then I just mix it in. The taste is just incredible. Our Thanksgivings aren't complete without it!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• whip them with butter and sour cream then stir in bacon pieces, shredded cheese, & green onions(scallions). loaded baked potato mashed potatoes
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• By cooking.. I meant boil.....I boil the halves til my fork pierces the potato, they're done when it pokes thru
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2010