I NEED Sleep....

This is in regards to "my" health but it involves my kids, this seemed the place to go.

I'm seriously at the end of my rope. No matter how many times I put my kids (boy and girl aged 2 1/2 and 3 1/2) in their beds, they will throw FITS until they can sleep in my bed with me. Short of NEVER getting any sleep, I let them come into my bed so I can at least function for work in the morning.

Now, I have to get up at 4am in order to shower and get things ready for the day (no significant other to help) and she will wake up the MOMENT I get out of bed. This happens on weekends now as well. I haven't slept past 4am in over 2 years...and I haven't gotten more than 5 hours of sleep per night since they were born.

Please...someone, aside from the Super Nanny advice of "Just keep putting them in their beds" is there ANY advice? Again, I can't sit up all night putting them back in their own beds when I have to work in the morning =(

mainemusicmaker

Asked by mainemusicmaker at 5:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Health

• I've got an SO whose very helpful, but I also get up before dawn as its my only quiet time where its just ME. I willingly sacrifice that hour or 2 of sleep to just have the place to myself, cuz thats all the time I get.

After that I'm shuffling around getting the kids ready, the DH is all over the house doing his thing...just chaos.

Weekends and holidays are worse (since they are off work) and there day's off become more work for me.

In my case, I really just have to put my foot down, that this time is MY time and they just have to wait until after X-o'clock to ask me for anything, cuz I am OFF DUTY.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• try rearranging their room so it's new and exciting! Explain to them with great enthusiasm that they r big kids now and it;s time to stay in the big kids room. Let them pick a seeping pal that they really like or something they r close to so they will have some sort of security then mentally prepare yourself that your gonna stick to it no matter what! The first day or two may be really rough and it may b a couple of sleepless nights but you have to be prepared for some serious tantrums. Tell yourself it's gonna pay off in the long run!!! Good luck!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, my youngest slept in a sleeping bag next to my bed for months because he just wouldn't stay in his room. He had fears of the "noises". My DH and I had no problem with it. You might try that. They are old enough to understand if you explain to them that you need more sleep (or room) and they can sleep on the floor. Don't know if you have sleeping bags or could afford to get a couple of cute ones that are machine washable. They could help pick them out (even if done online) to make it special. Only other thing I can think of is to go to bed sooner......all of you, in your bed. This will pass in time. Don't worry about what others might say. You are doing what you need to do to get some rest. I am one to suggest the supernanny approach but lots of times you have to do what you have to do! GL hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice =)

Elizabar, I did try the SuperNanny advice...and I stuck with it for over 2 weeks...then one day I almost drove off the road because I was starting to doze at the wheel. I had to nix that...I went that entire 2 weeks on 1-2 hours of interrupted sleep per night.

Sleeping on the floor is probably an option, but my room is so tiny (an afterthought of a room really), I don't know if that'll work. As it is, I only have a twin bed so I've been sleeping with them on the pullout couch which is much roomier, but WAY more uncomfy.

BUT you gave me an idea. I could always take MY mattress and put it on the floor of their room (much bigger) and sleep in there with them until they get used to sleeping in their own beds. Maybe this is the next step.

Again, thank you guys!!!
    mainemusicmaker

Comment by mainemusicmaker (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Hope something works out for you soon!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010