Are the laws fair to call a young man a sex offender because he loved a girl?

Two teens in high school. He turns 18 before she does. The parents have a fight with him and have him arrested. He goes to jail and must register the rest of his life as a sex offender. Is this right? Or have we taken it too far?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that a classic abuse of that law. BUT as soon as she hits 18 in a few months, she can drop the charges the parents raised, so its kind of a waste of time on the parents' part (assuming everything between the teens was consential).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The charges can be dropped, but he still has to register as a sex offender the rest of his life...
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• and there may be a way to get that overturned if its proven unjust or just an act of spite. I'd look into it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Not fair at all!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I know someone who was drunk at a party and had to pee. Someone was in the bathroom, so he went outside. It was night, but there was a light on the back deck. He urinated off the back deck, not realizing that the neighbors 6 year old son was out back and saw him take a leak. The boy ran inside and told his mom what he had seen. The man now has to register as a sex offender for exposing himself to a child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I guess that depends on how old the girl is. In most states (not all but most), the age of consent is 16. So, if this guy is 17/18 and having sex with a girl that is 16/17, I can totally see this not being fair. However, if he was having sex with a 14/15 year old girl, then I can see where it is fair (in some cases). I think it really depends on the situation. However, I think as moms, we need to teach our sons the laws and the consequences of those laws if they are broken.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Godness me! Has anybody asked the girl what she wants? Some parents ...
    I hope they run off together, get married and live happily ever after just to show the family "You were wrong! We belong together."
    (Yes ... me silly romantic... lol)
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• What state do you live in? As far as I know, you will not be allowed to force him to register as a sex offender. I live in Florida and the law here is 16 to 24! Usually if they are months or even just one year apart, you will not be able to do anything, but waste money on a lawyer and court fees...
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 7:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Not fair at all..you can expunge one charge in a lifetime, maybe he should look into this...

Answer by older at 9:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Some state laws are just like that. Here there is a 3 or 4 month clause. If they are close in age... My friend was saved by this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2010