Our grandparents married at 15 & 16 & did great. What changed?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• times and society changed.

the 1960s. Vastly altered how youth saw the world and sexuality and the world suddenly became a bit more dangerous a place for youth as sexual freedom, VD and homosexuality became a more common occurence.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Men aren't men any more they don't value family ,women are left with the bured off playing both roles thanks to dead beat men. Thank GOD i have a man that values family.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 6:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Women aren't June Cleavers, either. Gender roles are a thing of the past. Women work. Dads stay at home. Men get custody. Women cheat on their husbands and neglect their kids.

It goes both ways. Times are different and women are not saints and men are not devils.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• People then knew that they had to work out their probelms when they married it was for life pretty much then all of a sudden we started this womens lib thing and then there started porn things just evolved into what it is today. Today people go into marriage thinking if this doesn't work out we will just get divorced and tat's how life is. Woe started having a say in life more so then ever and I think the men didn't like it we went to work, had careers and family and i think we h ave done it to ourselves
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Attitudes about marriage have changed. Dedication to committment has changed. We have become a self-centered generation and marriage must be more about one's spouse than about oneself. The attitude today is that the spouse is responsible to make "me" happy, and if he doesn't, then I'm out of here. When I married 46 years ago at the age of 18, I had been taught that marriage was for life and that is what I believed about marriage. That's not what children are being taught today. Instead, they are being taught that if you aren't happy, it's time to move on to somebody new. The glories of marriage are discovered by going through the rough patches and moving to a deeper level of love for one's spouse. It is very sad that so many people will never get to experience that joy.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Hmmm.... My grandparents on my father's side were divorced. Heck my great grandparents on that side were divorced. My mother parents were miserable. I think that when divorce started to become acceptable, women began getting out of marriages that were downright miserable. Not everyone in the 1940's were as progressive as my great grandmother and would divorce the abusive jerk she married at 15.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I know... both sets of grandparents married really young!! and stayed together until they died................ Remember back on those days, it was not TV, PC, or cells to bombard their daily life!!

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 6:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• after the War, the USA was a pretty happy place overall and life was simpler and safer and people were friendlier (for the most part) in those days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• people live much longer.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 6:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Marriage is an after thought in today's society... It is common now to go to school, get a degree,
    work, even have a child (out of wedlock), and have a live in lover... Marriage isn't required for any of those now...
    Marriage isn't on the high priority list any more...
    As for what went wrong... nothing, our society changed, grew,became a bit more open minded to the world around us
    and the freedoms that we have when that happens we tend to place some things on the back burner and getting married is one of them...
    Ppl know when it's the right time to marry and it's by their choice and time...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2010