What are your feelings on gift certificates and gift cards in place of actual gifts?

I have never had a problem with giving them or receiving them. They know what they want/like better than you ever will. Let them get what they want.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• I love gift cards..it's better than the person hating your gift!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 8:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think they show less thought than buying an actual gift would. It's so easy to just pick up a card and pay for it. An actual gift you actually have to put some thought into and may have to visit more than one store to find just the right thing for that person.

Answer by missanc at 8:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• In some situations, I think they make good gifts. But I also agree that it can be the lazy way to gift-giving. You don't really have to think about what the person would like and you don't have to go out looking for something for them or wrap the gift, etc. If it's someone I'm really close to, I'd rather buy an actual gift. But my mom always gives gift cards to all her grandchildren because she really doesn't know what teenagers would like and that's a great idea, they love it. Can go both ways.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• They're great for older recipients, but not little kids.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I LOVE gift cards!!!! I think they are awesome, and they are so handy :)
    Charlie98

Answer by Charlie98 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I love them. You just have to make sure especially during the holidays that if you purchace gift cards, they are actually loaded with money. I worked at Wal-mart several years ago as a cashier and I was told that cashiers would actually take 2 cards, run both through the register at the same time and give the customer the unloaded card, and keep the loaded card to themselves. When I buy them now, I ask for them to check the amount on the card they give me, they can look up and print off a history of the card.
    yellarose

Answer by yellarose at 8:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i love gift cards!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I love them. I think aside from my spouse, I'd rather get gift cards from peoiple!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• love them!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Unless I can find the PERFECT gift, I give gift cards.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2010