I 32 weeks and my baby weighs 5lbs and 2oz...over a pound heavier than the average baby...is my due date wrong?

I had my first ultra sound at 6 weeks and my doctor said my due date is december 27, 2008. I had an ultra sound at 20 weeks and the radiologist said my baby was big for his gestational age. I just had an ultra sound today (31 wks 5 days) and she said he is 2 weeks larger then he should be and he weighs 5 bls 2oz. I have also been on bedrest since 23 weeks because of placenta previa. I am also 6'0 tall and my fiance is 6'7. I was wondering if the fact that I am on bedrest and the fact that we are above average would make a difference in our babies weight? He couldn't be 2 weeks off of my due date because I would've been on my cycle during that time and didn't have intercourse until April 3rd. I am really confused. Please help me...I am really scared that my due date is wrong and I will go into labor early...

tall_mom42

Asked by tall_mom42 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt worry about this. This is stupid in the way that, they really dont know how much a fetus weighs. You cant take it out and actually get its real weight. It's a guess. I dont care how fancy technology is, its only a estimate.

We though Our baby was going to be an average 7 pound baby. When he was born, he weighed 8 3.3.......

When the baby comes, the baby comes. Just be ready. I was ready with all my stuff 3 months before my due date, just in case.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Remember, babies gain the most weight in the last month of pregnancy at the rate of about 1 lb/week. My first, born at 31 weeks, weighed 2 lbs 15 oz. My second, born at 36 weeks, weighed 7 lbs 1 oz. I was on bed rest for gestational diabetes/high blood pressure. They were telling me I'd have at least a 10 lb baby due to the GD, boy were they surprised that both my kids were "tiny".

And remember, the ultrasounds are not exact. Think of it this way, if you do wind up delivering a preemie, he/she will have the benefit of being chunky :0) And if you are 2 weeks off then you'd be at 34 weeks...which is a lot better than 32, know what I mean?
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Yeah, like she said.....once you gt into the last couple of months, you want that baby out of there...I would personally be excited if i was in your position......
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Also keep in mind sonograms do not tell the weight very accurately. They can only guesstimate by the measurements what the "density" is and come up with a ball park - but they can be WAY off on weight. Think of how different two people of the same build can be.. they can wear the same clothing size but some people are "solid" and very dense, and others aren't. Babies can be similar and they have no way to know that through a sonogram.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• with my son, they said he was 12 lbs, he came out 10lbs 5oz, at full term. with my daughter they said 8lbs, (this was a month before my due date) and that's what she was, 8lbs. she was a week later than my due date anyway. so no, the ultra sound isn't always accurate. it's always 1-2lbs higher or lower. although, some women, like me, have big babies.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• They said my daughter would weigh 8 pounds. She was 6 pounds 11 ouncs.
    softchick21

Answer by softchick21 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It varies. The ultrasound is usually off by a pound or two.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 3:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• What they are saying the baby weighs is just a guess, they don't know what your baby weighs. Anyways, I had really big baby's myself. While I was pregnant, the doctor was always telling (with both of them) that "this is going to be a big baby". Well they were, but not Guiness Book of World Record big. My first was 9 lbs 6 oz and my second was 8 lbs 11 oz and he was early. Anyways, don't sweat it, a big baby is a healthy baby!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2008