My son is teething and he's only 2 months old, What can I give him?

He needs something to stop the pain i been rubbing his gums ever so often... He Has been so cranky and clingy....and always wants to chew on everything he can get in his mouth which isn't much considering he's only 2 months old... Is he old enough to have those teething tablets? ( which I think I remember seeing them on the news about them being bad for infants) not sure...or can i give him baby orajel? Im a new mom and this is my first rodeo so please don't tell me im a bad mom for wanting my son's pain to go away... its almost like when he's in pain im in pain...

Mommy_Bear823

Asked by Mommy_Bear823 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here in UK we have a paracetomol product that babies that young can have, called Calpol. I'm not sure what equivalent products you have where you are but I'm sure you doctor or pharmacist would be able to help you choose the right product. And I for one certainly don't consider you a bad mom for wanting your sons pain to stop. Any mum that wants the best for their children is actually a good mom. Hope you find something to help your son get through this stage of development soon.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• He may be a little young yet for my suggestion but you cold try freezing a teether. call the doc and ask if there is anything you can safely give him at that age.

But if he can handle it or maybe when hes older give him a frozen bag of peas or whatever to chew on....supervise of course but my son loved it when he was and still is teething. the cold feels great and the hardness of the frozen veggies also feels good.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• He is too young for orajel..it could cause a breathing issue. Hylands are only bad if you give him an overdose of them, and I mean a lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There are teething tablets you can get at the grocery store that are all natural. We use them for my son and they seem to work very well, along with Tylenol.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Oh, I forgot, you can buy a Baltic Amber necklace to put on baby and something about them being against the skin and getting warm, they release something that soothes baby and help with teething pain.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• This is something you have to wait out with love and patience. carry him upright in a sling, laying down wth mouth pain is excrutiating. he's too younf for orajel and it can make teething worse. meds will last a couple of hours at best nd it is too easy to overdose. Let him nurse if you breast feed, he can chew on a wet frozen wascloth, or a refrigerator cold teething ring (not frozen). Some have reported tht amber teething necklaces provide some relief -- nothing to lose by trying.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• That explains why he always wants me to hold him while he is awake...and didn't think about putting the teething ring in the fridge and not freezer... thanks so much for helping me out cause i know he is in pain.... What is hylands? never heard of it... and tell me more about this necklace that is suppose to help with the pain.. I will try anything so he can be relaxed and feel better... Ive been giving him baby tylenol , but i don't like to give him alot so he doesn't get immune to it and it not help anymore when he needs it for another issue like sick or something of that sort...
    Mommy_Bear823

Comment by Mommy_Bear823 (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• the debate about the tablets is because doctors say they havent been around long enough to know the bad side effects, i always heard baby orajel made the gums tougher for the tooth to break through yes it numbs the pain but in the end it takes much longer for the tooth to break through and once it does come inthe fussiness should go right away until the next tooth starts good luck
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 11:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• HyLands are the homeopathic teething tablets. http://www.hylands.com/

The necklaces: http://www.amber-teething-necklace.com/

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2010