Is college the answer anymore?

or is it antiquated thinking?

I know several grads who are working entry level jobs or are collecting unemployment. Many people get out of college feeling disallusioned and wait for years to use their degree.

Is the military or a good trade school a better choice? Military is a guaranteed job, training, plethora of benefits and nearly free schooling. Nor does it mean your off to war, most military is non combat and never see battle.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think the only time college is REALLY worth it, is if you know EXACTLY what you want to be when you "grow up" and are very interested in learning about it. Too many kids blindly go college, don't know what to study...then they go back later in life to actually study something they weren't previously interested in. I think everyone should go to community college first to help figure out what exactly it is you want to do with your life. I know too many people who went to college with no real major & work in coffee shops & bookstores now. You have to pick something you're really interested & stick with it. That is the best way to make something out of a college degree. An indecisive person will not benefit from college as much as someone who knows exactly what they want.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i think trade is the way to go these days...big time. Military too, if you're into that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• no i dont feel collage is the only option, i am very open to trade schools the millitary, or even an entery level job some where, where you can learn a skill and have a career for life........i know a few people who strated working at the local maket right out of high school and are running the store today and never steped foot in a collage.......so i think as long as you do something that allows you to be happy and have a great future you will enjoy i say go for it.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Education is never a waste, even if jobs aren't there it is something you will always have.

Answer by older at 9:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think many parents aren't aware of how things are today and just push their kids into college like their parents probably did. Back in their day that may have been what to do, but the world has evolved since then and there are other options after high school that they haven't made themselves learn about.

So no, I don't feel its the end-all answer. It does help, but it isn't the only solution for a stable future. Many many people do quite well without it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The military should only be an option for those who are passionate about joining. It should never be a garunteed job "So why not" kind of choice. There are a lot of positions that are noncombat, but that doesn't mean you're garunteed those positions. You have to pass exam after exam in order to get into most programs and that means that you might be front line before you're ever behind a desk.

And the reason I don't agree with Older, is that an education itself might not be a waste, but the money you spend can be. If you' go to college to become an anthropoligst and you spend 100,000 on your education. (For example) You get out of school and you're working in retail, then you just wasted 100,000 for a certificate. Everything I can learn in college I can learn at home, the only benefit to college is the degree that leads you into the career you studied for. Without that career backing, college is pointless.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Education is always the key.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• you do get to choose what jobs you want to get into and you will get one of those. If there are none available, you aren't bound to finish the recruitment process. No person is bound to the military until Basic Training is completed. If during Basic (example) you wish to quit and go home, you are not legally bound to stay and are written off, even provided transportation home.

Military is an excellent "why not" choice for those that have nothing else to go on to. Not everyone can afford college or wishes to work as a cashier in the local market forever. Some want to leave home immediately but have nothing solid planned. The military gives them that base and a home and a good thing to put on their resume when their tour of duty is over in 2-4 years. Its a good life experience and grows people up quick.

I never had to take any exams to get into my MOS. The testing was during the training itself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I had no wish to go to college, nor live with my parents after HS. I wanted only to see Europe and the military provided that for free. All I had to endure was some drill sgt yelling at me for 15 weeks and the rest was like any other job except I was living in Europe. Woohoo.

That experience in turn formed a bridge into getting a civilian career with Uncle Sam. Still no college of worth under my belt and made darn good money working civil service with great benefits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• irdka
    Rosamaria101

Answer by Rosamaria101 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2010