New puppy.....need some tips!

Okay, I just brought a puppy home yesterday. He is 6 1/2 weeks old. I kennel train, but he's really having a hard time. Does anyone have any tips for making him feel more comfortable the first few days away from his mommy and litter mates? His kennel is REALLY big and roomy, and he has a blanket, and stuffed animal and toys in there. He just keeps crying though, and it's kinda cute, but sad!

TimandMely4ever

Asked by TimandMely4ever at 9:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Make his kennel smaller. they recommend when crates training a new puppy to partition the crate so they have less room. if they have to much room it can feel overwhelming and they may start messing on the side of the cage they dont sleep on...I had that problem with my puppy so we made the cage just small enough for her to be able to sleep in it as she got bigger we made it bigger for her till she was almost full grown. It really helped out alot.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yep! Don't let him have all that space, otherwise he will pick a spot and use that to potty :)

Oh and you should just hold him....putting him in the crate is like making a baby cry it out ;)

CAN NOT wait to meet him!!!!!!!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Put in a plush bed that has sides on it, with a big stuffed animal. You can also try music, that helped with our dog when we first brought her home. Some people say a ticking clock also helps, but it didn't for my dog. Crate Training is the best option for new puppies and is easier then trying to get them to stay on a bed in the corner of a room. I agree with this method as I have done it myself. We bought our dog when she was 10 weeks old. She's now .. six months or so and when we say "Go to bed" she runs to her crate and lays down.

She used to cry and whimper too.. So I turned on my kid's musical toy, turned on the classical music, and set it just outside of her cage. Then I put a towel up over the front of her cage, so she couldn't see us talking around. A mix with the music and the inability to see us helped ease her to sleep. She got used to it after a couple of days and eventually stopped whimpering and crying.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It will probably be a bit hard at this point because Puppies should not leave their mom until they are at least 9 to 12 weeks old. Keep in mind that his bladder is very small at this point so he need to go out a lot more often. The crate should only be big enough for him to stand up,turn around and lay down otherwise he will have accidents. He probably does miss his mom and littermates he is missing out on some important lessons that he would have gotten had he stayed. You can try to cover the crate with a towel at night that might help with the fussing. A radio might help as well. Keep in mind that if you take him out when he is crying it will be longer and louder next time.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i agree with kyliesmom5 they were given away way to soon and they are not very confident yet to be alone with strangers no less. although 9-12 is really the best for them most people let them go at 8 wks. which is also ok. the longer they stay with siblings and mom the more they learn to behave and have good social graces. they grow up to be better dogs and more confident. i would never bring home a dog to early so i hate when i see people giving them away so early.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• DO NOT hold her. Putting her in a crate is NOT like making her cry it out. She isn't a human baby, she is a dog...

She needs to learn that her crate is her bed and when it's time to go to bed to go into the crate.

Cover the crate with a blanket and put her in. IGNORE the crying because he will learn that if he cries you'll let him out. Kylie's mom gave you some great advice too.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I was totally kidding Acid.

Mel is my IRL friend.....that is why I said it and put a wink.

pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 11:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You are just crate training for potty right? He won't sleep in there once he is potty trained??
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 11:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope. I've always crate trained, and so has my mom (she was a breeder when I was little, she bred Brittany Spaniels. Well, she didn't, but you get the picture!!!) If they have a crate, it's like they have their own room. They sleep there, rest there, and if they want to "get away" they have a place to go to be away from the kids and such. Our dogs have always had a kennel in the house until 18 to 24 months.
    TimandMely4ever

Comment by TimandMely4ever (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Make sure the kennek is not too big. You can put an empty cardboard box in there to reduce the amount of room. Kennel training is the best as you know so don't give up. Put a radio in the room where his kennel is.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 3:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010